Search for content in message boards

Greenberry Taylor, Christopher Taylor, Henry Taylor

Replies: 14

Re: Greenberry Taylor, Christopher Taylor, Henry Taylor

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 11:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have recently began researching my family history again...I am now totally confused as to my relationship of these Taylors. My mothers, mom was a Jemison her Grandfather was Flannagan Jemison. My father's mother was a Taylor her name was Rosa E Taylor I believe her father was Littleberry Taylor and his father was Greenberry Taylor who married Frances Steele. Then while doing Jemison geneology I find this:

The Cherokee Legend
Priscilla Cherokee Taylor Jemison, wife of Robert Jemison, Jr., was the daughter of Greenberry and Elizabeth Taylor, who settled around 1810 in Cherokee Indian territory in what is now northwestern Alabama. According to family history, the Taylors befriended the Cherokees and when the chief’s daughter fell ill and tribal medicine failed, the chief asked Elizabeth to nurse the girl back to health. The daughter survived, and the chief later returned the favor by taking the Taylors into his village when the Choctaws went on a rampage.

The grateful Taylor family asked the chief how they could thank him for saving their lives. By naming their first daughter "Cherokee," he replied. The Taylor's first daughter had already been baptized Elizabeth, but when their second daughter was born in 1812, they named her Priscilla Cherokee.

After the Choctaw scare, the family moved to a more densely populated area in what is now Clarke County. Priscilla was educated at a female academy in Tuscaloosa, the city where she met her future husband, Robert Jemison, Jr. Sadly, Priscilla’s father was killed and her mother was injured in an accident prior to their daughter’s wedding.

True to family tradition, Priscilla and Robert Jemison named their daughter Cherokee, and the name has now passed down through six generations.

Camille Maxwell Elebash, “The Jemison Mansion Family Histories,” Alabama Heritage (Fall 1992), VII, 37.

Could it be that I am related on both side of my family?

Tjsinal@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LindaPinkardG... 28 Mar 2009 4:10PM GMT 
plhanson59 28 Mar 2009 9:10PM GMT 
LindaPinkardG... 29 Mar 2009 2:49AM GMT 
LindaPinkardG... 29 Mar 2009 4:26AM GMT 
Tonya Shackel... 14 Oct 2013 5:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic