Hi Merrie...your posting was back in 2003. Hope you are still around on this site. I happened to see this posting I am responding to.
Regarding the Samuel Baker who married Betsey Trent in 1796 in Bedford County, VA? Samuel Baker's parents were:
SAMUEL BAKER, JR(SAMUEL, CALEB, ROBERT) b. Abt. 1745. and married MARY HODNETT BAKER; lived in Bedford County Va. d 24 Jan 1826 in Botetourt County VA; Mary Hodnett Baker was b 1750 Buckingham Co, VA. Mary Hodnett Baker lived in Buckingham County, VA in 1827 She died in Wilson County, TN after 1830.
Note: This elder Samuel Baker was a brother to my Glover Baker who married Mary Ferrall in Bedford County, Virginia on 19 May 1779 in Bedford County, Virginia, daughter of WILLIAM FERRALL and MARTHA COX.
Other siblings of the Samuel Baker woo married Betsy Trent are:
1. ABSALOM BAKER who married Elliner "Nellie" Mccoy in 1803in Bedford County,VA. November 1803, Absalom Baker died February of 1809 Bedford County, VA. (My Glover Baker was surety for this marriage.)
2. HENRY BAKER, who m. REBECCA PREAS, 20 Mar 1799, Bedford County, VA;
3. ELIZABETH (BETSY) BAKER, m. JOSEPH JACKSON JARRED, b 1773 Bedford County, VA.m-1805; d 14 Dec 1836 Joseph d 1835 Jackson, Tennessee;
4. ABRAHAM (ABRAM) BAKER b 1774 VA died at Bonsack Bedford Co VA on 17 - Oct - 1863 m.25 Apr 1808 LEVICY JANE MCCOY BURNETT. She was b- Mar 1783 d-22 Oct 1855 Bedford County, VA;
5 . MARY "POLLY" BAKER, b 1789 VA d 15 Nov 1830 Wilson Co. TN m. JAMES WILLIAMS 4 Dec 1823 Jackson, Madison County, TN She was his second wife. His first wife was Ruth Thompson m 1796 Orange Co. NC. M-3 Jane Walden 19 Jan 1832 Wilson Co TN
6. NANCY BAKER, m. JAMES F.MELTON AMYX, m - 24 Apr 1804, Bedford County, VA. James d 1816; Nancy d 18 Jul 1852; Morgan County, KY
7. JOHN BAKER, m. ELIZABETH UNKNOWN