Search for content in message boards

New Information - James Hicks and Judith Collier

Replies: 0

New Information - James Hicks and Judith Collier

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 11:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks, Malone, Brown, Tatom, Gaulding, Stringfellow
I believe I've found a possible new connection - not sure. I think it's possible that Judith Collier Hicks died in Monroe County, GA and that she had a son, Thomas Hicks, who died in Greene Co., GA. I am a descendant of Thomas Hicks of Greene Co., GA, who died there c. 1828-1829 (proved through the guardianship records of his orphans, one of whom was my gggrandfather). I am basing the possibility of Judith Hicks Collier dying in Monroe County, GA c. 1824-1828 on a variety of records. Most important one is the 1817 Greene Co., GA record of a Judith Hicks of Greene County, GA appointing Thomas Hicks of Greene Co., GA as her agent in fact to acquire her dower right for property in Brunswick CO., VA (the property had been sold to William Walker). The record indicates Judith's husband was James Hicks. The only Hicks household in the 1820 census was the Thomas Hicks household in which there is an elderly woman who could not be Thomas' wife. Upon Thomas' death c. 1828-1829, William B. Malone (married to Lucy Hicks in Greene Co., GA in 1823) became guardian of the Thomas Hicks orphans; while William was administering the Thomas Hicks estate, William's brother, Thomas Malone, was administering the estate of a Judith Hicks in Monroe County, GA, where a Frances Hicks had married a John Tatom in 1827. An Isaac W. Hicks (born c. 1809 in VA) also lived in Monroe County and ultimately became the guardian of my gggrandfather about 1836. It appears to me that Lucy, Isaac and Frances Hicks were probably siblings of Thomas Hicks, and that the family members had moved from Brunswick Co., VA into Greene Co., GA, with some moving on into Monroe. If someone has proof that Judith Collier Hicks died in VA and proof that her son, Thomas Hicks, died in KY or elsewhere and can't be the Thomas Hicks of Greene Co., GA, I'd sure appreciate a heads up so that I'm not chasing my tail! The record that led me to the possibility of Judith Collier Hicks being in GA is the following record:

"Emigration to Other States from Southside Virginia,
Volume 1, compiled by Katherine B. Elliott, South Hill, Virginia. Page. 33.

"HICKS, Judith - Green County, GA.

Know all men by these presents that I, Judith Hicks, of Green County,State of Geogia, widow of James Hicks of the aforesaid county, deceased,do appoint Thomas Hicks, of the County of Green, State of Georgia, and Williamson Smith of Brunswick County, State of Virginia, my lawful agents, or my attorneys in fact, to demand and recover my dower, or
third part, of a tract of land in Brunswick County, Virginia, on Indian Branch, it being a tract of land sold by my late husband to WILLIAM WALKER, and to which I have not relinquished by dower, and my attorneys are to represent me as if I were there in person.

Dated 29 January 1817, Recorded 26 Jan. 1818
Ref: Brunswick County Deed Book 24, page 18

M.B. 26 November 1787 - James Hicks and Judith Collier, dau. of Charles
Collier. Surety: Isaac Hicks. Married by the Rev. John King, Baptist
Minister.
Ref: Brunswick County Marriage Records, page 47.

Deven Lewis
Whittier, CA
deven00@charter.net

Find a board about a specific topic