Search for content in message boards

Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Replies: 16

WHO WAS FRANCES COCKE?

Posted: 9 Nov 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 May 2002 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: BRIGGS, COCKE, EDMUNDS, NICHOLSON, FLOOD
Seems silly to answer my own posting, but just in case anyone with similar interests ever happens across these messages, I have to ask the following question. Who was Frances, the wife of Brazure Cocke before marriage? Some writers have claimed that Frances was Brazure's second wife and not the mother of many of his children. However, she was his wife as early as 1751 (as proven by the deeds) and probably married him in Henrico County before his coming to Brunswick. James Cocke of Lunenberg, d. 1761, mentions in his will that 50 pounds are to go to his mother out of his estate. This indicates that James' mother was living and therefore, she has to be the Frances of Brazure's will dated 1765. I think, at least, we must consider her the mother of the younger children, if not all of them, including my Anne Cheek.

I have often thought that there might be some clues about Frances' identity in the will of Brazure Cocke. He mentions tools marked 'SB' that should be set aside and given to Samuel Briggs. This Samuel Briggs along with Robert Briggs, sold 150 acres on Waqua Creek, not far from Brazure's home. This Samuel is doubtless a son or grandson of Samuel Briggs (d. 1737, Surry County) by Mary Bailey. But how does he connect with Brazure Cocke? Why would Brazure have tools marked 'SB?'

Also, Nicholas Edmunds and Henry Edmunds, "friends" were made co-executors of the will of Brazure Cocke along with Frances Cocke. Were they somehow related to Frances? Major Nicholas Edmunds (c. 1710--1789) was a powerful man in Brunswick County, as were his sons after him. He was the son of Howell Edmunds (d. 1729) of Surry by Elizabeth Blunt. His first wife was Elizabeth Flood and his second was Mrs. Mary Nicholson, the widow of John Nicholson (d. 1753) of Sussex. Who was this Mary before marriage? Could her family provide the linkage? Henry Edmunds may be a son of Nicholas who predeceased his father and was therefore, omitted in the will of Nicholas Edmunds.

On the other hand, perhaps Frances' lineage can be found in Henrico. If anyone can help, please e-mail lcates@northstate.net.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lcates81 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
lcates81 9 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
scharmayne 8 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tressahall 19 Sep 2002 12:21AM GMT 
LarryCates70 19 Sep 2002 6:31PM GMT 
Tressa25 7 Oct 2002 12:10AM GMT 
tlsalzar 16 Nov 2008 10:29PM GMT 
Hedwards86 22 Feb 2012 12:02AM GMT 
donnahisel721 8 Jun 2009 8:40PM GMT 
outlndr 14 Jun 2009 9:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions