Search for content in message boards

Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Replies: 16

Re: Brazure Cocke's Descendants

Posted: 19 Sep 2002 12:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2006 12:26AM GMT
Thank you for replying to my message. I had almost forgotten that I had posted it. I had quite a battle connecting my Robert and Ann Cocke Cheek (sometimes spelled Chick) back to her parents. Working through the female line was made difficult by the ambiguity with which Robert's surname was recorded. He was with your William in Granville County, although he lived in the part that later became Bute County and is now divided into Warren and Franklin Counties. He was the bondsman for the marriage of Elizabeth Holt to Samuel Burch in Granville County and a comparison of his signature there with signatures recorded in Orange County, where he later finally settled (on New Hope Creek) confirms that he is the same person.

I wonder, have you made any headway into identifying Frances Cocke, wife of Brazure. There are a lot of records regarding Brazure from Henrico County to Brunswick, but the clues are very subtle about the identity of his wife. I do believe that she was the mother of most if not all of his children. I am thinking she might have been Frances Branch of what is now Chesterfield County, who appears in the will of her father James Branch (written 1720's I think but probated much later) and not in the will of her mother which entered probate in the same month that Brazure removed to Brunswick County. Brazure's associates in the deeds of Henrico overlap with the extended Branch family on five or six occasions. The Branches were of suitable social status for a marriage into the Cocke line. They were relatives of Thomas Jefferson and of distant royal descent.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lcates81 21 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
lcates81 9 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
scharmayne 8 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
tressahall 19 Sep 2002 12:21AM GMT 
LarryCates70 19 Sep 2002 6:31PM GMT 
Tressa25 7 Oct 2002 12:10AM GMT 
tlsalzar 16 Nov 2008 10:29PM GMT 
Hedwards86 22 Feb 2012 12:02AM GMT 
donnahisel721 8 Jun 2009 8:40PM GMT 
outlndr 14 Jun 2009 9:13PM GMT 
per page