Search for content in message boards

James Bradley

Replies: 0

James Bradley

Posted: 20 May 2013 11:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bradley Dodson Dodgson Drinkwater Burke Rhoades Hughes
My great grandfather was James Bradley abt 1836 - 1887. I am trying to find out where he was born in England and when he came to the USA. In 1871 he married Christiana Dodson at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Frankford Philadelphia, PA. The 1880 census lists the children as John J. b. 1859, Elisebeth b. 1862, Sarah A b. 1872, Mary A. b. 1874, William b. 1877, and Frances b. 1879. It appears that John J. and Elisebeth were born prior to the marriage in 1871. John James Bradley was my grandfather and I was told that he was born in Blackburn England. My research has discovered that Christiana Dodson is listed in the Blackburn England 1861 census with a 1 yr old son John James. Later in 1862 I found a birth record for Elizabeth born to Christiana Dodgson. I also found a passenger list for Christiana Dodson and children John and Elizabeth arriving in NY 14 Aug 1871. That is just a few weeks before her marriage to James Bradley. Looking for clues I found that there is a James Bradley living with George and Ann Drinkwater in the 1870 census for Philadelphia. George and Ann are also listed as the sponsors for James and Christiana's marriage. There may be a family connection but I'm not sure to who. John James married Annie M Burke, I don't know what happened to Elizabeth; Sarah Alice married A. Rhoades; Mary A. married W. Hughes. What I would like to know is if John James is the true son of James Bradley or the adopted son. Is James Bradley from Blackburn? Did James and Christiana know each other in Blackburn? It's a mystery and I would appreciate any info.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions