Search for content in message boards

HUDNALL, WARNER, CHASTAIN

Replies: 8
Posted: 16 Oct 2012 11:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Im looking for relatives of Joe Dan Chastain.

I got the info below from....
Doyle Dean Chastain I
4321 W. 169th St.
Lawndale, CA 90260-3455
310-370-3118
Genealogist@DoyleChastain.com

The Chastains

William Newton Chastain

William Newton Chastain was born in Dalton, in Whitfield County, Georgia on May 17, 1855. Five years later, Abraham Lincoln was elected and the country was embroiled in a Civil War. His parents were both born in Northern Georgia. Georgia quickly sided with the Confederacy. General William Tecumseh Sherman (who was raised by his mother, born a Hoyt after the death of her husband) split the state of Georgia in half in a grueling drive to the sea. His scorched earth policy left a 15 mile wide path of destruction and Atlanta was reduced to rubble. William was 9 yrs. old and less than 50 miles away. Ada M. Noble was born in Flint, Michigan in October 1860. She married him about 1879.
They lived there in Dalton, Georgia and in 1880, Ada gave birth to their first of 8 children, Minnie Chastain.
Ada gave birth to William Fred Chastain in November 1882 at Cedar Town, in Polk County, Georgia. William Fred, like his father before him, went by his middle name. Newton was 27 yrs. old when his second child was born, Ada was only 22 yrs. old herself. John J. Chastain followed in June of 1885.
"Grandpa Fred (William Fred Chastain) told the tale that his pa traveled the country in a covered wagon and that is why the kids were born in different places. We do not know WHY he traveled so. We do not know what he did for a living really. I can only guess he met Ada on his travels, how else do you meet someone from Michigan. Which is why I do not know where he married her. But after adulthood all these folks were living within Sunday visiting distance, Fred, John, Daisy, Fannie, Pearl, (Maggie died), maybe not Dee or she may have been dead I do not know." - Shiela Rowe Chastain
In 1887, Daisy Chastain was born in Allen, Texas. On December 21, 1889, in Beckville, Texas, Fannie Chastain was born.
In May of 1892, Ada gave birth to Margaret in Cedar Town, Georgia. Maggie (as she came to be called) was not to be the couple's last child.
Essie Dee was born in July, 1894 in Canton, Texas. She went by the name Dee.
Pearl Chastain was born in March of 1897 in Daingerfield, Texas. Pearl was the last child they would have. Newt was 41 yrs. old, Ada was 36 yrs. old herself. By 1900, tragedy had struck the couple . . . their firstborn child, Minnie, had died.

William Fred Chastain

William Fred Chastain grew up in Georgia. President Garfield was in office and assassinated and Sitting Bull surrendered while he was a child. While he was not old enough to remember the first election of Cleveland, he may have discussed the second one. By the time he was old enough to take an interest in things, Harrison was elected President. The battle of Wounded Knee was certainly something he discussed as well.
Fred met and eventually married Lola Edwards Wheeler who had been born May 14, 1888 across the state line in Pike County, Alabama.
"Lola was my granddaddy's first wife who was also my grandmother's (Emily) best friend. My grandmother took care of her when she was dying and she asked my grandmother to marry her husband (Grandaddy Fred Chastain) and raise her children, which she did. . . .daddy was raised in Oklahoma and didn't come to Texas until he and my mother had been married and I was about four years old at the time.
"Lola is buried at the cemetery in Ore City next to Jessie and grandaddy." - Patricia "Patsy" Patton

Fred earned his living working at a saw mill. An accident there caused him to have half of his foot cut off. He used to talk about his Dad going all around in a covered wagon.
The couple had a child named Edna.
In August 16, 1904, Madelyn P. Chastain was born to the couple. William Arthur Chastain was born almost exactly 3 years later, on August 17, 1907.

Alvin Barney Chastain was born November 19, 1911.

Ada Noble died in 1916 and was buried in Snow Hill Cemetery, Titus County, Texas.

Lola Edwards Wheeler died June 20, 1923.

Jesse C. Chastain died Sept. 27, 1935.

William Newton Chastain died on Dec. 28, 1938 in Camp County Texas. He was buried in Snow Hill Cemetery, Titus County, Texas.

William Fred Chastain died July 21, 1960.

William Arthur died in January 1968.

Madelyn P. Chastain died March 1, 1968.

Ollie E. Chastain was born April 16, 1970.

Alvin Barney Chastain died March 25, 1992.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mary__gal 6 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Charlene Points 1 May 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Anne W. Allen 8 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT 
@@weavcon@wor... 9 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Bill Hudnall 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Tom Oatney 19 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Mary__gal 19 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Slcockreham 12 Feb 2012 12:43AM GMT 
carolslater77... 16 Oct 2012 5:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic