Search for content in message boards

Muddy Creek Cemeteries? where the Slate River crosses Rt 20

Replies: 1

Muddy Creek Cemeteries? where the Slate River crosses Rt 20

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Robertson, Winfrey, Blanton, Self, Maxey
I am looking for a few "lost" cemeteries in the immediate vicinity of Muddy Creek, just north and east of the Slate River where it crosses over Rt. 20. I am aware of the multiple Maxey and Self cemeteries, as well as the Winfrey-Ayres cemetery on Muddy Creek, but am looking for a couple of others. Possibly other Maxey, Ayres, Bransford, Robertson family cemeteries.

The Robertson family resided long Muddy Creek from the early 1800's until at least 1910. There were no less than 8 members of this family that died between 1870 and 1910, and there is no trace in any church cemeteries in the area, specifically Sharon Church. I found an approved application for a CSA grave marker, dated in 1934 for Elisha Z Robertson, which states he was buried at a private cemetery, and that the stone was shipped. He lived and died on property owned by his father and grandfather before him. There were also several unwed children that lived until their death, on this property, leading me to believe a Robertson family cemetery MUST exist. As late as 1870, there were two homes on the property. As of 1930, I know one still existed. I do not know if they still stand.

I have some specific mentioning in land deeds that state the property "lies immediately on the west bank of Muddy Creek," adjoining the lands of JTL Woodson, among others." I know the old white JTL Woodson house still stands just off the east side of Rt 20, just north of the Slate River before Muddy Creek Rd. It is also possible the property was off of present day River Ridge Rd, off Muddy Creek Rd.

Descendants of some Winfrey, Blanton, Maxey, and Self families are related to these Robertsons, and I am aware that some of these descendants still live in the area today. Anyone who is familiar with this immediate area or knows any of these modern day descendants, and has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

J.Winfrey
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JHWinfrey 2 Mar 2013 3:38AM GMT 
JHWinfrey 21 Apr 2014 3:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic