Search for content in message boards

Jefferson - Moseley home - Sharps Creek

Replies: 0

Jefferson - Moseley home - Sharps Creek

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moseley, Tapscott, Baber, Steger, Norvell, Jefferson
I am looking for anyone with historical information or anecdotes concerning this magnificent home on Sharps Creek, near the Slate River, in Buckingham County, Va. The original home was lived in by E.G.Jefferson, nephew of President Thomas Jefferson in the early to mid 19th century. The property was once know as "Millbrook", although not to be confused with the other Jefferson related property in Buckingham. The property was home to a local mill, as well as a one room school house referred to as the "Jefferson School". This school was opened until the 1920's.

Around 1880, the home was sold by Jefferson heirs to M.L.A. Moseley, who resided in the home with wife Julia Tapscott Moseley until their deaths in the 1930's. They had no children of their own, but did raise multiple nieces and nephews as their own. Tapscott, Moseley, Baber, Steger, Norvell were all families that were neighbors and had direct dealings with Matt & Julia Moseley and their home on the hill.

Their are few photos circulating of this magnificence home, and I am hoping that someone with a direct link to the Sharps Creek and Well Water areas of Buckingham may have some additional photos and info. I would be very interested in ANY and ALL leads.

Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions