Search for content in message boards

FOUND! Account records of William Hill Winfrey Jr, Buckingham County - 1829-1846 - LOTS of surnames involved

Replies: 4

FOUND! Account records of William Hill Winfrey Jr, Buckingham County - 1829-1846 - LOTS of surnames involved

Posted: 12 Sep 2013 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Winfrey, Maxey, Cobbs, Chambers, Newton, Fontaine, Jones, Brown, Jenkins, Hill, Pleasants, Miller, Walthall, Taggart
I have recently uncovered a host of records for William Hill Winfrey Jr (1806-1846) of Buckingham County. They are buried in a large batch of Allen Family papers, held at the Virginia Historical Society. Records for William Jr span from 1829 - 1846.

First, and foremost, William is listed in several of these accouts as William H Winfrey JR, thus confirming his father's first name as William. I have only seen his father listed as Hill, but now we know he was WHW SR. Hill was probably referred to by his middle name to distinguish him from his own father William.

Back to the records. Included are 1840-42 land transactions between William H Winfrey and George Pleasants on Muddy Creek. Also Abram Maxey's land purchase from William and Addison Cobbs on Muddy Creek. These help to show this Winfrey line's move from the Sharps Creek/Diana Mill area to Muddy Creek.

There are many account records, which William held with various merchants. Merchants listed:

George Chambers Sr, brothers William and John Chambers, Chambers Mill Post Office, Samuel Ford Jr, Nicholas & Hocker, Francis Walthall, James Brown, R C Jones, Fontaine Newton, William Newton, John Jenkins, Hull Fontaine, Benjamin Taggart, Hogg & Whitmore

Also several letters or notes.

W A Chambers (cousin), J Hill (Cumberland), William A Winfrey (nephew in Fayette, Tenn, son of John), Thomas Miller (of Powhatan), among others.

Anyone with solid connections to these individuals, please feel free to inquire and I will share.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JHWinfrey 13 Sep 2013 12:47AM GMT 
RoDixon19 8 Feb 2014 2:44AM GMT 
JHWinfrey 8 Feb 2014 6:46AM GMT 
RoDixon19 8 Feb 2014 9:45PM GMT 
amylou122 17 Feb 2014 2:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions