Search for content in message boards

Tindall of Buckingham County - Rock Island Creek, Centenary, Muddy Creek, Slate River

Replies: 1

Tindall of Buckingham County - Rock Island Creek, Centenary, Muddy Creek, Slate River

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Oct 2013 5:40PM GMT
Surnames: Tindall
I am looking for any deeds, wills, or land plat information on ANY Tindall in Buckingham County. I have all of the land tax summary books, but am looking for more concrete information.

By the early 1800's, these Tindalls (Benjamin the patriarch) owned a fair amount of land in the northern part of the county, probably settling there when it was still Albemarle County.

There were multiple male Tindalls with the names Thomas, John, and Lewis from these lines that lived in the area, sometimes simultaneously, from 1820's-1930's. I am looking for info on any of them.

I attached a reproduction of an 1807 map that lists some apparently large Tindall tracts in the north. "Tindall Land" corresponds with Rock Island Creek property. "Tindall Plantation" corresponds with Centenary area. "Moseley, Bransford & Tindall lands" corresponds with land on Slate River, near present day Rt 20. I have my guess as to who lived where, but need some better evidence.

In 1966, Bessie Jackson of Dillwyn wrote this in notes on the county, "the Slate River area is where the Moseleys, the Bransfords, and the Tindall families lived.... The Tindall cemetery and the Bransford farms with their cemeteries are within a 3-mi. radius."

Also attached is a section from the 1863 Buckingham Map, showing John Tindall land on the Slate River just to the west of where present day Rt 20 crosses the river.

I have confirmation that there is a Tindall Cemetery, west of Centenary, maybe a mile or so off the beaten path (no main road to site). There was a stone placed there in the 1990s, but the only person who had info on its placement has passed away. To my knowledge, there are two present day Tindalls in the county, unsure of relation, although they have popular, known family names.

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JHWinfrey 22 Oct 2013 11:37PM GMT 
JHWinfrey 21 Apr 2014 3:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic