Search for content in message boards

Reuben Golden [Golding] in 1880 Schedule 2 of US Census for Carroll Co.

Replies: 0

Reuben Golden [Golding] in 1880 Schedule 2 of US Census for Carroll Co.

Posted: 1 Jan 2012 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Carroll County Researchers,
I pasted below my abstract of the 1880 Agriculture schedule listing for Reuben Golden [Golding] in the Fancy Gap Township of Carroll County.
I would like to know what happened to the farm that Reuben was operating, and apparently owned. I have not found a deed in which Reuben disposed of the farm, so I suspect that Reuben died intestate between 1880 & 1890, and that his farm was sold by an administrator.
Can anyone tell me if there are published abstracts of estate settlements for Carroll County for the 1880s & 1890s?
Regards, Byron Bowman

1880 US Census Fancy Gap Township of Carroll County Va. Schedule 2, - Production of Agriculture
Reuben Golden owned the farm that he was operating, that consisted of 20 acres of tilled land, 2 acres of orchards & pastures, and 30 acres of woodland & forest, for a total of 52 acres. The land, fences and building were valued at $300 and his farm implements and machinery at $5. Thus he seems to have had relatively little farm equipment, but this valuation was fairly typical for his neighbors.
His livestock was valued at $75, he had spent $5 on fencing during the year, and the value of all of his farm production was $190. His draft animal was a horse. Reuben had 1 milk cow, and 1 other cattle, presumably the calf that was born the previous year. He produced 30 lbs butter. He had 10 sheep, who produced 6 lambs, he sold three sheep, he slaughtered one, and four died of disease during the past year. He had shorn 8 sheep, yielding 12 lb of wool. His other livestock were 6 swine, 4 barnyard poultry, and 7 other poultry. His flock had produced 40 dozen eggs. Reuben had planted 16 acres in corn and harvested 250 bushels. He also planted ½ acre of sorgum and produced 27 gallons of molasses. Reuben’s other listed crops were ¼ acre of Irish potatoes, from which he harvested 20 bushels of potatoes, ¼ acre of sweet potatoes, from which he harvested 12 bushels of sweet potatoes. His two acre apple orchard contained 125 producing trees, from which he obtained 200 bushels of apples. He also had a ¼ acre peach orchard of 9 trees, yielding 10 bushels of peaches. The total value of orchard products was $23. He had cut 15 cords of wood with a value of $3.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions