Search for content in message boards

Charles Henry Palmer

Replies: 0

Charles Henry Palmer

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Palmer
Charles Henry Palmer was the youngest of eleven children born to John Woolley Palmer & Lucy Palmer (nee Bennett) ~ he was born on 17th March 1893 in Barrow In Furness in Lancashire, England.
Many of male members of the family worked in the iron & steel industries in Barrow In Furness where ship building was prominent. John Woolley Palmer was sadly involved in an industrial accident which resulted in him having a leg amputated. Following his recovery, John & Lucy left England & moved to Ireland where they bought & ran a farm. Several of their grown up children moved to Ireland with them but Charles Henry Palmer chose to remain in England.
Charles Henry Palmer was known to have joined the Merchant Navy & during his travels he ended up staying in Ireland for short while staying with his family on the farm but soon returned to his beloved life at sea. It's thought that Charles started off his sea life career as a pantry boy progressing as a baker & eventually finishing up at the top of the ladder as a fully qualified chef.
Lucy Palmer (nee Bennett), mother of Charles, died in Ireland in 1936 at which time the family solicitor had to make contact with family members re. the will. The solicitor was told by the old family that Charles was thought to have then been living in either America or Canada. He was never traced & so he never did receive the money that was left to him & sadly the family never did ever find out what ever became of him. As it is thought that Charles could have settled in America I wondered if anyone might have Charles in their family tree from when he made a new life for himself. Should anyone know of Charles I would love to hear from you please as I would dearly like to know what became of Charles in his later years & learn of what he made of his life.
Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions