Search for content in message boards

Bartlett Thompson

Replies: 28

Re: Bartlett Thompson

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 9:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Here is the 1822 Will of the John Thompson who married Judith:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/botetourt/wills/thmpsn1.txt

Do you know of a living male Thompson from this family who could take the Y chromosome DNA test? We really need a DNA donor from this overall Thompson family.

The Kyle family in the Albemarle/Buckingham Co. VA area was headed by a Robert Kyle who married an Elizabeth Campbell (said to have been a daughter of an "early" Hugh Campbell). Some of their Kyle children moved to Botetourt Co., VA. As I recall, the Sarah Kyle who married James Rowland was one of their descendants. A man named Moses Higginbotham also married into that Kyle family, as I recall.

It has been a long time since I looked at who all of the children of John and Judith Thompson married, so I cannot comment on what you show for that (but the spouses who you show could certainly be totally correct). Some show the parents of this John Thompson in Botetourt as a James Thompson and his wife Mary. The above Will shows that John's mother was, in fact, named Mary, but I do not know (or recall, at least) the source for stating that a James Thompson was the name of John's father (and I note that no SON named James was mentioned in John's 1822 Will....but such a son could certainly have died before his father did; also, sometimes an oldest son was given his inheritance BEFORE the father died, and hence, that oldest son may not always be mentioned in the Will of his father; I have seen that "scenario" now in about three other situations/Wills that I have researched in the past).

There was an obviously younger man named James Thompson who married a Miss Stevens, and they lived in the Amherst/Nelson Co., VA area. One of their sons was named William Bartlett Thompson (born in the early-1800s). We have a DNA donor from that family, but he currently has no "DNA matches" to ANY other Thompson DNA donor, so that seems to be showing us that this William Bartlett Thompson was NOT related to the family that included the Bartlett Thompson who lived in Cumberland Co., VA and who married a Miss Hatcher....since we also have some DNA donors from that overall Thompson family (that Thompson family "traces back" to the Robert Thompson "I" who was in New Kent Co., VA in the 1600s). At least one researcher shows the parents of the James Thompson who married Miss Stevens as also being a James and Mary (Unknown) Thompson....but I do not know the source (nor the accuracy) of that belief. As stated above, we need a DNA donor from the family of John and Judith so that we compare that DNA to the other two Thompson families mentioned above.

Creed Taylor of Cumberland Co., VA (owned and ran Needham Law School) was named for the earlier/older man who was named Creed Childers. My ggggg-grandparents were Hezekiah Davidson and Tabitha Childers, and Tabitha was a member of that same Childers family. Tabitha's sister Sophia/Sophronia Childers married Samuel Taylor (hence the later man named Creed Taylor). One researcher claims that Creed Taylor was a close friend and associate of the John Thompson of Botetourt who married Judith, and that is why John and Judith named a son Creed Thompson. There was a later man name Thomas Taylor who married a Nancy Davidson (in 1810, as I recall) in my overall Davidson family. One of their children was also named Creed Taylor (as I recall, there were three or four...if not more....men named Creed Taylor in VA in the 1700s-1800s).

Comments/questions on any of the above? Thanks.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kuzenskis 21 Feb 2013 9:11PM GMT 
tunnelm1 8 Aug 2005 7:35PM GMT 
tunnelm1 9 Aug 2005 1:24PM GMT 
rockwriter10 5 Jan 2013 2:47AM GMT 
tunnelm1 5 Jan 2013 4:13PM GMT 
rockwriter10 22 Feb 2013 11:17PM GMT 
tunnelm1 23 Feb 2013 12:01AM GMT 
jthompson1748... 8 Jul 2013 12:48AM GMT 
tunnelm1 6 Aug 2013 2:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions