Search for content in message boards

Richard Marr Scott

Replies: 0

Richard Marr Scott

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 6:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
My 4th great grandfather is Richard Marr Scott (circ. 1825 - 1898) married to Lucy Heeps (1834 - 1912). Richard was born in Virginia, USA and emmigrated to Strathalbyn, South Australia where he married in Adelaide 1851, raised his family around Strathalbyn and died. It is believed that he is the son of General Winfield Scott (as stated in his death notice), however, there is no evidence of Richard being listed among Winfield's children in his biographies or other family research that I can find. There are a number of stories floating around about Richard being disowned by his father, and how he was often found to be sitting at Strathalbyn Railway Station in his later years longing to be back in Virginia.

I have recently discovered a common connection with the late trucking magnate Allan (Archibald) Scott whose family line also extends from Richard Marr Scott. In Allan's official biography the connection between Richard and Winfield Scott is strongly claimed, with Allan's family returning to Virginia to restore the General's grave.

I am looking for primary evidence of Richard Marr Scott being the son of General Winfield Scott, verification of his mother as Maria Dehart Mayo (or was there another unnamed woman in Winfield's life? His first wife Lucy Baker died in 1816, long before Richard's birth, which rules her out as his mother).

Any further clues or assistance with this connection would be very much appreciated. Thank you in anticipation :)

Find a board about a specific topic