Search for content in message boards

Will of John Bowie, Fauquier Co, VA, 1839

Replies: 0

Will of John Bowie, Fauquier Co, VA, 1839

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:09AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Bowie, Ash, Phillips, Cornwell, Wallace, Bradford
JOHN BOWIE WILL 1839

I JOHN BOWIE, of the County of Fauquier and State of Virginia, being old and infirm, but of sound mind and disposing memory, do make this my last will and testament, in words and figures following to wit:

1st. I direct that my executor herein after named, do pay all my just debts, and funeral expenses and for that purpose my executor will use any money or other property that may be on hand at my death.

2nd. I will and bequeath, that my daughter WINIFRED CRUPPER have the sum of four hundred dollars to be paid her or her legal heirs by my executor herein after named, out of my Estate, as soon after my death as may be convenient the said sum of four hundred dollars to be paid the said WINIFRED, for the sole purpose of making her portion equal to the sums I have given most of my other children.

3rd. I will and bequeat in trust to my son NEWTON S. BOWIE for the use and benefit of my daughter SAREPTA ASH, the sum of four hundred dollars and the following negro slaves to wit: Woman NANCY and her two children MARY JANE & PAGE and all present and future increase, and it is my further will that the said NEWTON S. BOWIE put the aforesaid four hundred dollars at interest , or invest it in land, as he may think best and most to the interest of her the said SAPEPTA, and for him the said NEWTON S. BOWIE to hear out or work on a farm as he may think best, the aforesaid Negros NANCY, MARY JANES, PAGE and future increase and for him the said NEWTON S. BOWIE to pay over all interest, rents, heirs and profits arising and growing out of the aforesaid money and Negros, unto her the said SEREPTA ASH for and during her natural life and after the death of her the said SAREPTA, it is my further will, that the aforesaid four hundred dollars should it then be in money or land and that the aforesaid Negros NANCY, MARY JANE, PAGE and all their increase, or such of them as may be living at the death of her the said SAREPTA be equally divided between and among, the living children of her the said SAREPTA, and among the children of such children as may have due or to the death of her the said SAREPTA, and for them, and each of them, to have, hold and enjoy the same forever.

4th. I will and give to EVAN PHILLIPS who intermarried with my daughter MALINDA one dollar and nothing more of my estate.

5th. I will and bequeath one ninth part of all property, of which I may die possessed of the same real, personal or mixed, and not herein, and before particular devised.
I will one ninth part of all such unto NEWTON S. BOWIE in trust, for the use and benefits of my daughter SAREPTA ASH, for and during her natural life, and after the death of her, the said SAREPTA, it is my further will that the same, which may not have perished, be equally divided, between, the children of her the said SAREPTA, that may be then living and the children of such children as may have died, and for them to have, hold and enjoy the same forever.

6th. I will and bequeath the other ninth part of all property, of which I may die possessed, be the same real, personal or mixed, and not herein and before particular devised, I will one ninth part of all such, unto NEWTON S. BOWIE in trust for the use and benefit of my daughter HARRIETT WATSON, for and during the natural life of her the said HARRIETT, it is my further will, that all the same which may not have perished be equally divided among, and between the then living children of her the said HARRIETT and among the children of such children as may have died and for them to have, hold and enjoy the same forever.

7th. I will and bequeath the remaining seven ninths of all property, of which I may die possessed and be the same real, personal or mixed, and not herein, and before particular devised I will and bequeath the remaining seven ninths of all such, unto my seven children, as follows, WATSON BOWIE, NEWTON S. BOWIE, GEORGE W. BOWIE, JOHN BOWIE, NIMROD S. BOWIE, SYNTHA CORNWELL, AND WINEFRED CRUPPER and for them and each of them, and their heirs to have, hold and enjoy the same forever.

7th. It is my further will, that my executor herein after named is not to be held to security, only to give his own bond as I have full confidence he will do ample and full justice in every respect, consequently no security is to be required.

Lastly I do hereby, constitute and appoint my son NEWTON S. BOWIE executor to this my last will and testament, hereby revoking and annulling all former wills and testaments by me heretofore, made, declaring, this only to be my last will and testament. Given under my hand and seal this tenth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty nine.

The words MALINDA in the ninth line second page and the words divided in the thirty first line second page each interlined before signed.
JOHN BOWIE

Signed, sealed and delivered as the last will
And testament of JOHN BOWIE who signed
the same in our presents and requested us to
witness the same.

GEORGE T. WALLACE
R.R. BRADFORD

At the court held for Fauquier County on the 26th day of February 1839. This last will and testament of JOHN BOWIE deceased was proven in open court by the oaths of GEORGE T. WALLACE and BENJAMIN R. BRADFORD being witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded. And on the motion of NEWTON S. BOWIE the executor therein named, who made oath thereto, and entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of twelve thousand dollars, conditioned as the law directs, certificate is granted him for obtaining probate of the said will in due form. No security being required by direction of the testator.
TESTE A.J. MARSHALL, C.C.
Copy WM H. JENNINGS, clerk.

SOURCE: Index No. 1854-008, John T. Crupper and Wife Plaintiff vs. Exr. Of John Bowie, Fauquier County, Virginia, Chancery Cause, P. 56-58, Library of Virginia.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions