Ann Quisenberry of VA

Replies: 3

Quisenberry

Posted: 23 Jan 2001 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2001 10:29AM GMT
Surnames: Quisenberry
Dear Fauquier County, Virignia Genealogist,

First, let me say that I am so far as I know not a descendant of the Quisenberry family. Several Quisenberry people married into the Cockrill family descendants of the William Cockrill who went to South Carolina and then Kentucky. My reason for posting this information to help those related to the Quisenberry family. See the book The Paynes of Virginia for more information on Humphrey Quisenburry.

The name is sometimes spelled Cusenberry

Quisenberry Family
The following comes from Wills of Westmoreland County, Virginia 1651 - 1800 by Fothergill

Westmoreland County, Virginia Wills
BUTLER, Tobias 17 Feb 1687; 31 Aug 1698
My wife and children one not as ye in being son James to friends John Quinsberry and his wife, estate at 20 years of age; wife and John Quinsberry exrs.

Quisenberry, John, 23 Nov 1714; 27 Nov 1717. Son William all land and if he die without issue to my son Humphrey to whom I leave one gun and horse; wife Ann rest of personal property. Witnesses. Frances Quisenberry, William Griffin, Humphrey Pope.

Westmoreland County, Virginia
MUSE, John 5 Apr 1723; 8 Oct 1723
Son Thomas 1 shilling; daughter Jane Pritchett 1 shilling; daughter Ann Wilson 1 shilling; daughter Mary Quisenberry 1 shilling; residue of estate to daughter in law Ann Muse.

Mothershead, John 13 Nov 1730; 26 May 1731
Sons Nathaniel, George, Christopher and John; daughters Elizabeth Quisenberry; daughter; Claytor; sons Olvin and George; grandson Brooks Mothershead; wife Elizabeth

BAILEY, Ann 13 Mar 1731; 25 Oct 1732
Granddau Ann Quisenberry; my great granson Nanam Burch; grandau Elizabeth Cox; great grandson Bayley Washington 2 negroes; Jane wife of Giles Esther; Benjamin Akers 20 Shillings; William Brown 20 shillings; granddau Mary Washington and her husband Henry Washington; grand grand daughter Ann Quisenberry and her son Baman Burch and his sister Ann.

MOTHERSHEAD, William 1 May 1746; 27 May 1746.
To Charles Mothershead land; John ½ part; to Sarah wife of Thomas James 1 shilling; John Mothershead and John Quisenberry exrs.

MOTHERSHEAD, John 28 Nov 1748; 27 Mar 1750.
L25 to daughter Mary Mothershead when 21 years of age; my bro Charles Mothershead use of land for crop when 21 years of age; wife Sarah plantation and rest of estate for life; wife Sarah and brother John Quisenberr exrs.

QUISENBURY, Nicholas 23 May 1755; 26 August 1755, daughter
Ann Welch, 1 negor; child unborn 1 negro, wife Rose 1 negro, she and my father exrs.

Quisenberry, William Sr. 27 May 1762; 27 July 1762
Daughter Eleanor Bayn 1 shillingÂ’ grand sons Nicholas Quisenberry, John Mothershead and William Dodd 1 shilling each son William land he lives on; daughters Ann and Elizabeth residue of estate.

Quisenberry, Ann 23 Aug 1773; 29 June 1779
Sister Elizabeth Quisenberry all of my estate; cousin William Dodd and Nicholas Dodd Exrs.

Westmoreland County, Wills
Quisenberry, Humphrey 30 Jan 1773; 24 Sept 1776
Estate to wife and three children by her, viz; Elizabeth, Peggy, John, duahgter Ann Piper 2 negroes; daughter Mary Marshall 1 negro; dau Bethlune Burshaw 2 negroes, son in law John Pope 5 shillings; exrs. John Carter Senior, and Presley Neale.

Quisenberry, Elizabeth 23 May 1784; 22 Feb 1785
A horse to Elijah son of William Weaver; to Richard son of same 1 featherbed and furniture; William and Nicholas Dodd 1 horse, bed and furniture; Ann Weaver clothers and saddle and then saddle to her daughter Elizabeth Bayn; a pewter dish and iron spits to William Quisenberry; John Quisenberry, rest of estate.

King George County, Virginia

In Deed Book A1 King George County, Virginia page 14 Humphrey Quisenburyleft his will. He mentions wife Mary
Quisenbury mentions son John Quisenbury. pages 15-22 of this book is missing as is the rest of the will of Humphrey Quisenbury. (The Will before Humphrey's will is the will of John Underwood Senior dated 7 July 1722.

The Election of 1752 in King George County, Virginia list two Quisenbury men, namely James and John

The Abstracts of Fauquier County, Virginia Wills, Inventories and Accounts 1759-1800 by John K. Gott mentions only on Quisenbury. Grace Quisenbury was a witness to the will of Rosannah HURST dated 17 Oct 1793.

Marriages of Fauquier County, Virginia
Quessenberry, George married Elizabeth Huffman 27 Sep 1816 daughter of William, Groom George Quisenberry)

Fauquier County, Virginia Deed Book 6 page 351-353 dated 24 Mar 1777 B & S Between Reubin Wright and Mary his wife and John Quisenberry a parcel in Hamilton Parish next to the line of John Alexander 122 acres Signed Reubin Wright, Molly (X) Wrigth. Wits Augusting Jennings, James Monroney, Elisha Arnold 24 Mar 1777.

Deed Book 10 page 229 22 Feb 1790 From Alexander Hume, Elizabeth Snelling, James Quesenberry and Grace his wife of Fauquier County to John Shumate of Fauquier a tract of land near the fork of Horse Pen Run near the Great Marsh, Signed Elizabeth Snelling, James Quesenberry, Grace Quesenberry.

QUISENBERRY, Page married Elizabeth SMITH 24 Aug 1806 bondsman John Smith

Quisenberry, Zacheus married Molly Warder 23 Dec 1801 bondsman d/o Joseph Witness Henry Warder

FORRESTER, Wm married Molly Quisenberry, 9 Aug 1793 bondsman Wm Willis.

Quesenberry, Elizabeth left a will dated written 23 Jan 1815 and proved 25 Apr 1815. Records by Dee Ann Buck and other provide this information.

One of the migration paths seems to have been Westmoreland County, to King George County to Fauquier County, Virginia
John Quisenberry and his wife Mary seem to be the first of the family in Fauquier County coming about 1777.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DHanson4719 13 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
MsHam47 13 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
DHanson4719 13 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
burgess4819 23 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions