Search for content in message boards

Reed Dickerson b: abt 1718 died War of 1812 15 Oct 1814 at Norfolk

Replies: 4

Re: Reed Dickerson b: abt 1718 died War of 1812 15 Oct 1814 at Norfolk

Posted: 7 Mar 2012 2:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dickerson
I am a Dickerson Researcher and nothing makes me happier than seeing your questions about Reed Dickerson and also about the two Susannahs. I have done research about Reed in the Montgomery County Court House in Christiansburg, VA. I must tell you that this early period has many big questions and a lot is conjecture. I will share two of the documents that I found about Reed. Please e-mail me at Kasialido@aol.com as there is much more. I would like to see the letter showing the last name Gander. I had assumed this, but it is good to see better evidence.

Order Book 18 Page 314 1811-1813(Montgomery County)
On the motion of Susannah Dickenson and Dan'l Spangler who made oath as the law directs with Security entered into an acknowledged Bond, conditioned as the law directs. Certificate is granted them for obtaining letters of administration on the Estate of Reed Dickenson Dec'd.
Page 18
Ordered that Ebenezer Watkins, David Moore, James Thompson, and Richard Wells ??? of them being first sworn do appraise the personal estate of Reed Dickenson Dec'd. and Certify such their appraisement to court."

Will Book 2 page 371 Montgomery County, VA
Feb. 29, 1816
Reed Dickerson Appraisment
Witness - David Spangler
Names right hand corner-Ebinezer Watkins, James Thompson, Richard Wells.

In March of 1816 the Montgomery Court an ordered appraisement of the estate of Reed Dickerson dec'd. The appraisement was done by Ebenezer Watkins, James Thomson, Richard Wells. It was recorded in March of 1816. The appraisement was dated February 29, 1816. It was also signed by Daniel Spangler.
APPRAISAL TOTAL: 3 pounds 11 shillings and 6 pence.

Court Order Book 19 Page 94 - 1816-1817
On the motion of Susannah Dickenson widow of Reed Dickenson dec'd of the County of Montgomery and State of Virginia. It is ordered to be Certified to the paymaster General of the United States, that it was Proven in court by the oath of a respectible witness that he was present at the time that they said that Susannah Dickenson was married to Reed Dickenson, something upward of seven years ago, and it was further proven to the Court by the oath of Wilson Oliver a respectible witness that he marched in company with the said Reed Dickenson from the County of Montgomery Virginia to Norfolk in the service of the United States in the month of July 1814, both being privates in the Company of Captain James Hoge, and that the said Reed Dickenson departed this life on the 15th of October, 1814 at Norfolk while in the service of the United States. It is further ordered to be certified that the said Susannah Dickenson has one male child named Wiggington who was Six years old the first day of last March and it further appears that the said Sussannah(sic)Dickenson is still a widow - all which facts appeared by respectible evidence.

Parents of Wiggington Dickerson are Reed Dickerson and Susannah Dickerson. Found at Montgomery County, VA Court House:

Court Order Book 20 1817-1819 Page 172-"Ordered that the overseers of the Poor bind Wigton Dickerson orphan of Reed Dickerson dec'd to Elijah Dickerson according to law"
(Note:The law is such that Where the estate of the orphan be so small value that no person will
educate and maintain him for the profits thereof, such orphan shall be bound apprentice, every male to some tradesman, merchant, mariner, or other person approved by the court until the age of 21. Females were similarly bound but to age 18.(Barbara Stanley)
The 1820 Census for Montgomery County has one Elijah Dickerson. From the information I have all his children had married. The census shows 1 Male age 45 and up and one male of 10 and under 16. (Wigington would have been 10 years old.)Elijah Jr.( son of Elijah born 1755) would have been abt. 18 at the time so probaby not a suitable candidate. Elijah the son of Griffth Dickerson would have been a possible candidate, but we know little about his age, and he was not in the 1820 census, and would probably have been less than 45 years old. At this time it appears that Wigington was bound out to Elijah Dickerson, b. 1755. We need to know what the relationship between Elijah and Reed is. A GUESS is that Reed is Elijah's son, and Wiggington his grandson.

In the National Archives Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers of the War of 1812 is:
DICKERSON, REED
Private
4th Regiment VA Militia
Capt. James Hoge
Lt. Colonel Huston
Lt. Col. Wooding
Information containing the records of Reed Dickerson's service as a Volunteer Soldier in the War of 1812 was obtained from the National Archives in July, 2003. Reed Dickerson was a private in Capt. Hoge's Co. of VA Militia in the War of 1812. He enlisted in Montgomery County, VA. No date of enlistment was given, but three other relatives also enlisted and there date of enlistment was July of 1814.These relatives were: Leonard Dickerson, John Dickerson, Griffith Dickerson, and John Dodd. (John was the husband of Sarah Dickerson, daughter of Elijah Dickerson, b. 1755)In Wilson Oliver's statement above he says they marched in the month of July, 1814. Reed died in service at Norfolk, VA on October 15, 1814.

For information on the Pension and Bounty land files of Susannah Dickerson Reed see her file)
Reed, Susannah Reed former widow, Old War WF(Widows file)#12835 srv(served)as Pvt. in VA Vols.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lmnixon 7 Mar 2012 7:10PM GMT 
Kasia Johnson 7 Mar 2012 9:24PM GMT 
lmnixon 7 Mar 2012 10:23PM GMT 
Kasia Johnson 7 Mar 2012 10:39PM GMT 
lmnixon 8 Mar 2012 4:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic