Search for content in message boards

Smith, Shilling, Shockey, King, Jarrold, Richardson, Lewis, Webb

Replies: 0

Smith, Shilling, Shockey, King, Jarrold, Richardson, Lewis, Webb

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Shilling, Shockey, Jarrold, King, Lewis, Webb, Richardson
My Smith Line goes back to a land grant on the South Fork of the Roanoke.

I am looking for info specifically what Smith family is this Jacob Smith related to.
How and what proof is there?

John Page Esquire Governor of the commonwealth of Virginia. To all to whom there presents shall come greeting: Know Ye, that by virtue of a Land office Treasury warrant number 3593 issued on the March 9th 1780 there is granted by the said commonwealth unto Jacob Smith a certain tract or parcel of land containing 28 Acres, by survey bearing date theDecember 8th 1801 lying and being in the county of Montgomery (Now Floyd County) Virginia on the waters of the South Fork of Roanoke (Goose Creek) and bounded as followeth to wit: Beginning at a black oak on a line of the Widow (Rosannah in Census) Shillings and Webb, and with his line South 19 degrees West, 94 poles crossing a branch to a maple, thence leaving said line, North 65 degrees West 41 poles to 2 ash saplings in a branch, South 77 degrees West 16 poles to a white oak sapling on a line of Lewis’s and with the same North 15 degrees West 40 poles crossing a branch to a chestnut by a path on the Widow Shillings (Rosanna Shockey) line, and with the same North 65 degrees East 100 poles to the beginning with its appurtenances to have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land with its appurtenances to the said Jacob Smith and his heirs forever. In writing where of the said John Page Governor of the commonwealth of Virginia hath here unto set his hand and causes the Seal of the said Commonwealth to be officed at Richmond on the November 27th 1804

Notice that Jacob Smith is not the assignee of anyone this can mean only one thing, either when Jacob Smith was about ten years he bought unclaimed land, or Jacob Smith inherited this land from a family member. Also notice that this exact area of Virginia in 1780 was Botetourt County.

[Rosanna Shockey married Jacob Shilling in 1787 in Franklin County Virginia. John King was the Surety. Before she married Jacob Shilling she had children with Isaac Shockey. Rosanna is the mother of John Shockey living next door to her, Rosanna is the mother of Mary Shockey wife of my Jacob Smith. In there marriage record of July 15th 1796 it shows Rosannah Shilling as her mother Isham Jarrold, John King, Joseph King and James Craig were also present (Rosannah Shockey aka the widow Shilling, wife of Jacob Shilling Father of Eva Shilling wife of a different Jacob Smith son of Peter Smith father of Peter Smith husband of Miss Richardson relative of William Richardson,

Also Rosannah Shockey aka the widow Shilling wife of Jacob Shilling father of Jacob Shilling husband of Elizabeth King) The Marriage record for Rosanna and Jacob Shilling counts her maiden name as Shockley not Shockey.

Lynn Boss has a good theory that leads to Rosanna’s father being Martin Shockey

Note

This area of Montgomery County Virginia became Floyd County in 1831. Looking at a topographic map you can see that Goose Creek of the South fork of Roanoke is in Floyd County Virginia. This area of Montgomery County was formed from Botetourt County in 1789. This Area of Botetourt County was formed From Augusta County in 1769 This area of Augusta County was formed from Orange County. It was rarely called Goose Creek on Deeds. Who is this Jacob Smiths father? When and where did he come from? I don’t know that answer but I can tell you where Jacob Smith went.

If you have any questions i am always available either phone or email.

I have also tested the YDNA of

1. Myself Tyson Douglas Smith i am from Jacob and Marys son Henry.

2. My cousin Jesse is a descendant of Jacob and Marys son Jacob.

The YDNA has confirmed our paper trails to Jacob Smith and Mary Shockey married July 15 1796 in Montgomery County.

Also I have tested other cousins (Smiths) from Henrys line.

1. My cousin Paul descends from Henrys son William i descend from Jacob.

2 My cousin Kevin descends from Henry through the same son as me but through his son Burwell i come from James.

Also i have tested my grandfather my father and my son.

It would be awesome if a direct male descendant of Humphrey Smith and Peter Smith could test to see if my Jacob is related to Humphrey or Peter.

I am willing to pay for the test if its done through ftdna and if there is a good paper trail proving their descent from Peter or Humphrey.

Tyson D. Smith II

Mr.smith2@verizon.net

718-344-0833

Find a board about a specific topic