Search for content in message boards

WOODY in Franklin Co. Virginia

Replies: 17

Re: WOODY in Franklin Co. Virginia

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Shelley

You have great suggestions...and as you stated I am working with limited information. I am aware of the various spelling back in that day and thats what I was referring about the name. He (Edward) could very well be in the system but under a different spelling of WOODY (WOODDY, WOODIE, WOODEY) all of which I have written down not to mention his first name could have been entered as (ED, EDDIE) all of which I have written down and made note of. However, on the two census records that I do have on him his name was consistant in spelling (EDWARD WOODY).

As I have stated in previous emails I am only aware of the one child (William Draper/Via) because he lived with William and Wms. family. I am sure that there were other children I just have not been able to find or prove such.

I have not been able to find a death record for Edward because I have no idea what year he passed. I have also been unable to find the name of his wife (as he was a widower) on both the 1870 and 1880 census records. As far as where he lived:
Horse Pasture, Henry Co. in 1870
Mayo River, Patrick Co. in 1880

Further I have had the pleasure of going to Bassette Co. Library but was not successful at finding anything. I know for certain that Franklin Co. do not have ANY birth or death records in their courthouse and was recorded is in Richmond. I was scheduled to go down to Franklin Co. today but inclement weather prevented me from doing so. During my many trips to Richmond Va. I too have been unsuccessful there as well because record keeping on people of color was either poor or went unrecorded all together.

I was hoping to locate a death certificate on William Draper (the son) but the year that he died deaths were not being recorded during that time and the same for his (Wm.) birth. Anything pre 1870 has proven diffcult in locating documents. I have been researching my maternal and paternal sides for more than ten years and the further back you attempt to go to the harder it becomes because the information just isnt there. I was going to travel to Utah but after speaking with them they informed me that they do what I do, travel to the various court houses churches etc...to collect information and microfilm.

My next step is to hire someone for help but tahts after I go to all the courthouses. :)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TL237 18 Jan 2013 1:30AM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 20 Jan 2013 12:36AM GMT 
TL237 23 Jan 2013 12:48AM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 23 Jan 2013 3:17AM GMT 
TL237 24 Jan 2013 6:53PM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 25 Jan 2013 12:17AM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 25 Jan 2013 12:28AM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 25 Jan 2013 6:38PM GMT 
TL237 25 Jan 2013 11:36PM GMT 
shelleyatsupe... 26 Jan 2013 12:42AM GMT 
per page