Search for content in message boards

Zachariah Ellis & Linda Hanna (Malinda) Dehaven

Replies: 17

Re: Zachariah Ellis & Linda Hanna (Malinda) Dehaven

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Okay, since apparently Yahoo just doesn't want me to send this directly, I'm just cutting & pasting. I'm not sure how the Dehaven stuff will work out as it is HUGE, but we'll give it a try in following messages.

I went back through my tree & the Bollings I have are connected really far down from the Dehavens. They could be connected to your Bollings, but I don't have data on them far enough back to say yea or nea. I do have a Bowling as well (perhaps the same line, different spelling, perhaps not).

The Bowlings are:

John (b abt 1815 in Tenn), father of a son (so far name unknown to me) & a daughter Mary Jane (b abt 1840 in Ill, died 1911 in Mason County, Illinois). John seems to have had another wife, possibly named Nancy, b about 1815 in Ohio. They had a daughter, Mary Ann, born about 1834 in Ohio. My ASSumption is that Nancy (& possibly Mary Ann) died in Ohio, or just after moving to Illinois. From some fellow researchers there were apparently quite a few nasty epidemics that moved through in the 1830s-1850s with high mortality rates. That is the only logical assumption I can make based on having 2 daughters named Mary. Doesn't mean I'm right, just going by the fact several branches of the family have reused first names when the 1st child bearing it died in childhood.

Mary Jane Bowling went on to marry John Ranson (b 1837 in Mason County, Illinois and died ... abt 1862). Mary Jane & John had 1 child - Sarah Ann Ranson (b 28 June 1861, Illinois). John went off to war & never came home. Mary Jane remarried, 10 Dec 1863, to John George Grimm and they had issue. Thus, I'm assuming she was notified of John's death in 1862, possibly early 1863. However, given common mourning customs at the time, she *should* have been in mourning for a year before remarrying. That would put her notification in late 1862 (poss Dec) with John dying sometime in June-Oct (again ASSuming how long it would take notice to get to her with the war & mail of the day). I have found a John Ranson who died in 1862 in Kentucky during a Confederate raid on the Union headquarters. This John died in Lebanon, Marion, Kentucky & is buried there. HOWEVER, he is NOT buried as part of the Illinois troops, instead as some from Wisconsin (I believe). I've discussed this with some civil war historians I know & they've said it wasn't uncommon for a man to be buried under a different unit IF the unit he's buried under brought his body in for burial AND someone in it knew who he was. I have TENTATIVELY identified him as the John Ranson, husband of Mary Jane Bowing, father of Sarah Ann Ranson. I have no issues if I find out that it is NOT true but as of now he seems to be the most likely candidate. As of yet I do NOT have much more to offer on him. Sarah Ann Ranson went on to marry John Colvin Ellis (my direct line) who is the grandson of the Zachariah Ellis & Linda Hannah Dehaven I posted about before - through their son Samuel.

I have a Bolling connection, but as I said it is very late & I wouldn't assume they're connected but it is possible. Until I'm able to do more research on them I'd err to say no. The Bollings I have are:

William, husband of Alberta "Bertie" Crapps. I have NOTHING to offer other than his name. I do know that Alberta was born 9 Mar, 1886 in Hays County, Texas & died 14 Apr 1941 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas. They had a son (at least) named Lester. Again, I have nothing to offer on him other than his name. My ASSumption, again, would be that Lester & William both lived in Hays County &/or Bexar County. In the 1940 Bexar County Census, Alberta is widowed so William Bolling must have died before that date. Alberta is shown as Head of House, but her last name in now Davidson. That means there must be a 2nd husband, also dead, by 1940. There is a Haywood Hill also listed in the house, but he is a "Lodger".

The Dehaven data is rather large, and complex, so I will send that in a different e-mail. I'm sorry I don't have a lot to offer you on the Bowling / Bolling lines but hopefully some of it helps.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmschoon 3 Feb 2013 5:47PM GMT 
nbpolanco 4 Feb 2013 10:12PM GMT 
rmschoon 5 Feb 2013 1:43AM GMT 
nbpolanco 5 Feb 2013 7:16PM GMT 
nbpolanco 12 Feb 2013 11:38PM GMT 
rmschoon 13 Feb 2013 1:55AM GMT 
rmschoon 13 Feb 2013 1:59AM GMT 
nbpolanco 15 Feb 2013 3:27AM GMT 
rmschoon 15 Feb 2013 8:19PM GMT 
rmschoon 15 Feb 2013 8:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions