Search for content in message boards

Mary Martin of Franklin, Virginia Born about 1790

Replies: 3

Re: Mary Martin of Franklin, Virginia Born about 1790

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 9:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Oct 2012 10:12AM GMT
I am entirely confused about this. The only marriage I can see for John Craghead is to Jane Martin in 1842. I'm trying to link John Craghead's wife to Tunstall Ferguson, and then try to figure out the Martins and whether Tunstall is the son of Robert Ferguson. Does anyone have any information that I've missed?

In the book "The David Reeder Family History" by Adolph Madsen Reeder, it says this about Martha Jane Ferguson. (I think it's possible that it's Greenbrier Pittsylvania County VA rather than Greenbrier Pennsylvania. In her death records, it puts her birthplace as Pennsylvania, but in the censuses she lists it as Virginia.)

The Craghead family was among the early settlers of Franklin County, Virginia. John H. Craghead's father was Timothy Craghead who married Mary Polly Agee. Their people came to America with the French Huguenots in about 1692 and settled in Virginia.

Martha Jane Furgensen was bom in Greenbire, Pennsylvania about 1819. Her parents died while she was very young and she learned to work hard and became very thrifty with an abundance of energy. Her foster father was an extensive slave holder and it became customary to tie them up each morning and lash them so they would remember to work hard all day, in the cotton fields. Their painful moaning and screams were a disheartening memory to young Martha Jane.

Her life became such a nightmare, she ran away and faced the
world alone. In her varied employment she met John H. Craghead. They were married 1 December, 1837, at Franklin. She was 18 years of age and 10 years younger than her man. Life became sweet to this young couple. Soon the L.D.S. Elders found them and the Gospel furnished the comfort they had yearned for. The privations of frontier life was not distasteful to them. They were soon wending their way across the plains with ox teams and came directly to Brigham
during the early fifties and erected the little log house just to the south of the Tithing Office. Three of their younger children were bom here. To visit the home of Grandmother Craghead, one was impressed with its inviting homey atmosphere and its tidy arrangement.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JoAnnJeppsen1... 10 Jun 2004 11:13PM GMT 
S. RIchards 19 Jul 2004 2:11PM GMT 
byulibraryfhl 28 Nov 2005 4:48PM GMT 
SBC_KJC 13 Oct 2012 3:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions