Search for content in message boards

Richard Payne

Replies: 2

Re: Richard Payne

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 8:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Payne, Page
Hello, a couple of questions:
1. are you certain that Richard Payne and Rebecca Payne (Page) came to Gloucester from Fluvanna? To the best of my knowledge, Richard Payne would have been one of the sons of Francis Payne, who lived in Gloucester in the early 1800's, and as such, he would have been born in Gloucester. But, I'm not positive;
2. are you sure that the Paynes who settled in Gloucester were recently freed slaves? Francis Payne of Gloucester, was a descendant of Francis Payne of Northampton; he was an indentured servant of African descent who secured his freedom in the 1640's, and his descendants spread throughout Virginia, the rest of the South, and the Midwest as well. Numerous members of the family of Francis Payne of Gloucester lived in the county and elsewehere, before emancipation. I am not sure of if the Paynes to whom you are referring were part of the same family; and
3. would you have an idea of the birth year of the Frank Payne who was a trustee of the church? I would guess that he was born around 1856, and was the Frank Payne who married Mary Eliza Hall, but, there were a number of Franks and Francis' in the area, so it is unclear. Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Roane Hunt 20 Feb 2004 1:33PM GMT 
CF71 23 Feb 2004 2:43PM GMT 
deodadonazo1 25 Feb 2013 3:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions