Search for content in message boards

Richard Payne

Replies: 2

Richard Payne

Roane Hunt (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2004 6:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Payne, Scott, Pollard
Richard Payne, who lives in California, is searching for information about his grandfather, Richard Payne, who was born in Gloucester in 1874. He is listed as the step-son of Emanuel Pollard. His mother was Susan Payne, daughter of Richard Payne and Rebecca Page. I have discovered that the Payne's came from Fluvanna County, VA, along with other Gloucester families of Scott, Walker, and Tazewell. These were families of Roanes PO on the old Robins Neck Road and Payne's Landing Road. William Payne as a trustee of the one of the earliest Black churches that used the Glebe Meeting House and later built the permanent church of the present First United Baptist Church on Rt 17. The formal deed was transferred in 1869. Later in 1901 land was purchased on the corner of Payne's Landing Road and Robins Neck Road by the trustees of St. Paul's Baptist Church: Frank Payne, Emanual Pollard, his son-in-law Alexander Brown, Robert Scott, and others. Beyond the genealogical interest is the question of why so many of these freed slaves moved from Fluvanna County to this section of Gloucester County and built a viable community where my grandfather established his two stores and post offices, Roanes and Seldens. My first theory is that they came to the White Marsh Plantation and settled on its fringe.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Roane Hunt 20 Feb 2004 1:33PM GMT 
CF71 23 Feb 2004 2:43PM GMT 
deodadonazo1 25 Feb 2013 3:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic