Search for content in message boards

Gideon Bowles of Goochland Virginia

Replies: 4

Re: Gideon Bowles of Goochland Virginia

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowles
Hi. I must be a shirt tale cousin, as i am also an approximately 5th great granddaughter of Gideon Bowles.
I'm related to his son, Anderson who had a son, Caleb Bowles, who had a son William Hearst Bowles, (my great grandfather), who had Thomas Kinsey Bowles, (my grandfather), who had Joseph Anderson Bowles, (my father).

I had never heard about the Bowles store, but googled and did find some information.

When the war broke out, James Pleasants, a native of the county, insisted he replace his uncle in the Goochland Light Dragoons (known during the war as Co. F, 4th Virginia Cavalry). In 1861, he was allowed to take his uncle's place. In the winter of 1864, any troops who were close to home were allowed to return to recruit more soldiers. On Pleasants' first night home, Dahlgren's raiders stole his horses but did not search the property. When Pleasants found out what happened, he grabbed his carbine and started off on foot after the raiders. Hearing a noise, he hid in the woods, and then ordered the Union cavalryman to surrender. Pleasants mounted the man's horse, and forced the soldier to walk in front of him to search for more soldiers. Within a short amount of time, Pleasants had captured several Union prisoners and took them as prisoners back to Bowles' store. In all, he captured 15 Union soldiers, recovered 16 horses, and shot one officer who refused to surrender.[4]

If you Google Goochland County history you will find the above info...., (that's where you may've found your info).
It sounds like a pretty well documented battle that Dahlgren led.

I have no idea which Bowles the store belonged to.

I have seen mentions of Gideon Bowles being an aide de camp to General George Washington. I wish i could find hard evidence of THAT. After some little researching, it sounds as though that was pure fabrication. The aides de camp are well documented. Gideon is listed as a "Patriot" in the Daughters of the American Revolution index.... it is said that he provided supplies. No other info though. I contacted a history professor who said he found no other info that would support Gideon as an aide de camp.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jpr3121_1 2 Jan 2011 10:35AM GMT 
Stephen Chapp... 16 Jul 2011 4:55AM GMT 
bloodhounds22... 14 May 2012 7:24PM GMT 
subowles 24 Dec 2012 10:42PM GMT 
rgnoyes 22 Jan 2014 3:43AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic