Search for content in message boards

Wrong locations in "Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850"

Replies: 3

Wrong locations in "Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850"

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
An alert to Goochland Co researchers. Most of the marriages occurring in Goochland Co that are indexed in the Ancestry database "Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850", are incorrectly tagged as being in Greenbrier Co.

The error seems to depend in part on the date of the marriage. The Goochland marriages that I have found in this database that are labeled as being in Greenbrier are all marriages from 1800 or later. Marriages 1799 and earlier are labeled "Gooc".

That means, when searching for marriages, if you put in the location "Goochland" or "Goochland County, Virginia, USA" you will not find any results for Goochland. To find marriages from Goochland Co, you must put in the location "Gooc". And if you do, you will probably only find those from before 1800.

If you search for a marriage by surnames, the results you find in Greenbrier Co may be from either Greenbrier or Goochland Co. You cannot trust the geographic location given by this database.

Unfortunately, it's been this way for years, as I find many trees online citing both "Virginia Marriages, 1740-1850" and marriages in Greenbrier Co that did not occur there!

I have notified Ancestry about this significant and misleading error in the database, but their reply is that they will do nothing to investigate and that it is up to the "source" to correct it.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
schomakers1 21 Nov 2011 10:04PM GMT 
Foxfire08 6 Dec 2011 6:34AM GMT 
monutt1 17 Sep 2012 7:41PM GMT 
perkylzd 14 Jan 2013 1:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic