Search for content in message boards

Hicks of Goochland Co., VA. - James M. Hicks/Hix b.c1784

Replies: 4

Hicks of Goochland Co., VA. - James M. Hicks/Hix b.c1784

Posted: 29 Apr 2004 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2005 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: hicks, hix
Looking for information on James M. Hicks/Hix, b. c1784, born in Goochland Co., VA., who was a head of household in Lincoln Co., NC., by 1810. He remained in Lincoln Co., NC., through the 1870 census and was age 95 at that time. On the 1860 census he gave Goochland Co. VA., as his place of birth.

He may possibly have been living in the home of "John Hicks" in 1800, in Lincoln Co., NC., who was the only Hicks named as a head of household in that county at that time. John Hicks and the other 'male' in his home at that time were both in the same age group (free white males 16 to 25). This is the age group that James would have fit into and they may have been brothers. No others were shown to be in the home.

A neighbor to John Hicks household in Lincoln Co., NC. in 1800 was a man named John Yates. John Yates died by 1805 as a lawsuit regarding his estate is found in the records for that year naming his apparent heirs.

Two involved in the suit were named as Margaret Hicks (also called Peggy in other records regarding this suit) and Susy Hicks (who I believe was Susannah Hicks, who was named in other records as the name of the wife of James M. Hicks).

My theory is that John Hicks and James M. Hicks were brothers, and John was the older of the two. I believe they were living together as bachelors in Lincoln Co., NC., in 1800 together in one home, and living next door to John Yates. I believe both John & James Hicks married daughters of their neighbor, John Yates, "Margaret married John" and "Susannah married James." This part is theory, but circumstantial evidence supports it.

James M. Hicks and wife Susannah had at least 6 males and 2 females the ages to be their children by the 1820 census. I also believe Susannah died after the birth of the last child, born by 1820 and was not in the home on the 1820 census. The males who I believe for sure were five of their six sons were named:
Miles Hicks, born c1809 (records on his birth vary from 1807-1813
David Hicks, born c1811
William Hicks, born c1813
Joseph Hicks, born c1814
Singleton Hicks, born c1816

The daughters I'm not sure of, but they may have been named Phoebe and Epsey, as they later appear in marriages in this county and fit the age profile.

Miles remained in Lincoln Co., after his brothers William, David, and Joseph moved to McNairy Co., TN., with William going first, then David, then Joseph. Singleton also went to McNairy Co., TN., by 1860, but returned to Lincoln Co., NC., by 1870.
William was in McNairy Co., by 1831, and David and Joseph were on the census there by 1850. These three remained in McNairy Co., until their deaths.

I would like to find out their father, James M. Hicks', line in Goochland Co., VA.

Other names common in our line besides those named above, which I believe come down from the Hicks ancestors are: Marcus L., & Violet M. Hicks.

Appreciate any information.
Christi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CPartee5942 30 Apr 2004 3:47AM GMT 
CPartee5942 30 Apr 2004 3:49AM GMT 
CPartee5942 10 May 2012 11:54PM GMT 
ncrobinsons 27 Feb 2013 2:47AM GMT 
CPartee5942 27 Feb 2013 8:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions