I went to Greene County, Monroe District (which is supposed to be the Dyke area) two years ago and there were so many Morris' I got very lost as to what I wanted to know. My great grandfather, John Miley Morris, was born abt. 1848 in VA and died between 1895 and 1900. John married Jane Marie Morris on March 15, 1878 in Greene County, Va. Jane died abt. 1917. Originally I was looking for the cemetery where they were buried, but I ended up at what I thought was a dead end street in Dyke. I find out later that I should have gone further because there are three cemeteries up on the side of a mountain.
John Miley Morris and Jane Marie Morris' children:
1.Clinton Morris b. Nov 1878; d. Aft. 1968
2. Clarlotte (Lottie) Morris b. Nov 1879 in Greene County, VA; d. March 1974 in Swoope, Augusta County, VA; she married James Ernest Knight, Sr.
3. Robert S. Morris b. 1883 in VA
4. Jeanetta (Nettie) Morris b. May 18, 1884; d. March 26, 1968 in Elkton, Rockingham County, VA; she married William Robert Shifflett on Aug 24, 1916 in Rockingham County, VA.
5. Lula A. Morris b. Mar 1887 in Monroe District, Greene County, VA (we don't know who her husband was, but she had three children.
6. Ada Clinbell Morris b. Aug 10, 1889 in Monroe District, Greene County, VA, d. July 6, 1981 Staunton, Augusta County, VA; she married John Amos Downey on Apr 10, 1910 in Staunton, Augusta County, VA.
7. Josephine (Josie) Morris b. Nov 15, 1892 in VA; d. April 15, 1972 in Craigsville, Augusta County, VA. She married Robert Edward Morris.
8. Lessie F. Morris b. Jan 1896 in VA. She married George Morris.
I would appreciate any information you might have on this family as I am pretty I have more Morris' marrying Morris' than is legally allowable. I'm not sure.