Search for content in message boards

Louise Catherine Musselman -- Montgomery > Giles > Greensville

Replies: 0

Louise Catherine Musselman -- Montgomery > Giles > Greensville

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 7:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Musselman, Mussleman, Muselman, Hughes
My step-grandfather knows very little about his family history, so I've decided to help him out.

Mary Francis Musselman Hughes Crutchfield was very secretive, especially about her age and heritage. No one knows her exact birth year, and even though we know her to be Native American (Chippewa), she and her family are listed as white in census records. She was completely ashamed of her heritage and hid it as best as she could. There is a long talked about photo of a relative dressed in full ceremonial gear, but she burned it. This shame could also be because her mother likely was widowed at the time of her birth, as well as the births of many of her siblings. Perhaps her mother had her with a Native American man who had nothing else to do with her. Mary Francis's birth certificate was lost in a Giles county courthouse fire.

There is also talk that she is related to the Musselman family who owns the famous cannery in Pennsylvania.

Mary Francis' mother, Louise Catherine Musselman, raised her children as a widow through 1900-1920 in Giles county, Virginia. Her spouse and the children's father(s) are unknown. I cannot find any record of her before 1900. She died in 1942 when she lived in Greensville county. I think she moved to Greensville after 1920 to follow Mary Francis and her husband. Her death record, signed by Mary Francis Musselman Hughes, lists Louise Catherine's father as Thomas Musselman born in Shawsville, Montgomery, Virginia. According to this, she was also born in Shawsville. There is no record of her mother, but her first name may be Snow.

Mary Francis Musselman
B: About 1905 in Giles, Virginia, United States
D: 26 Aug 2002 in Emporia, Greensville, United States
M: Mitchell Riley Hughes
B: 10 Dec 1897 in White Gate, Giles, Virginia, United States
D: abt 1943 in Skippers, Greensville, Virginia, United States
M: Bennie Carey Crutchfield

Louise Catherine Musselman
B: abt 1869 in Shawville, Montgomery, Virginia, United States
D: 9 Apr 1942 in Roanoke Rapids, Halifax, North Carolina, United States
Children:
Grace
Gussey
Allene
Frank Sweet
Snow Bell (or Snow Geneva)
Mary Francis
Cleota

If anyone can give me more information on Louise Catherine Musselman's spouse(s), her father, or her mother, or if you have any records not listed on Ancestry that may be of some use to me (marriage records, etc.)... PLEASE email me. Thanks for reading!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions