Search for content in message boards

Looking for parents of George William Nichols

Replies: 10

Re: Jeremiah Nichols

Posted: 17 May 2005 2:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 May 2005 8:15AM GMT
Surnames: Nichols, Owen, Seymour, Vasser
This information is mostly speculation. I received a lot of information from other family researchers, and a couple of online family trees: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/o/v/e/Robert-P-Ov...; http://members.fortunecity.com/jdw4/Owen1/rr01_002.html#P161.... Also, my own research on the genealogy websites (ancestry.com; genealogy.com; familysearch.org).

I have seen a transcription of John Nichols' (b. abt. 1698)Richard Owen's wills, and John's eldest son's will (Jesse Nichols) who is my direct ancestor.
Jesse Nichols did not have any sons named Jeremiah according to his will.

John's will mentions these other male children : William, John Nichols Jr., Ambrose Nichols, Byrd Nichols, and David Nichols.

The following is a list of the Nichols' residing in Halifax Co. Va. from the 1782 census:
Byrd
David
Jessie
John
Mary
William

So, if Jeremiah was born between 1770-1780, assuming that Jeremiah Nichols of Halifax County didn't move into the area from another Nichols family, his father should be in the list above.

Ambrose Nichols moved to Georgia, and we know the names of Jesse's children from his will (plus most of Jesse's family moved to Tennessee), so that leaves William, John Jr., Byrd, and David.

Seems like other researchers have concluded that Jeremiah is David's son, but I still haven't been able to find documentation supporting this assumption.

I have seen a marriage record of Sarah Parker Owen and Jeremiah Nichols in Halifax County on 5 Dec 1797. I usually guesstimate birthdate ranges from marriage records by subtracting 20 from the year with an error margin of plus or minus 5 years. Therefore, an estimated birth year for Jeremiah is 1777. Jeremiah is listed on the Halifax VA census for 1830 and 1840. Assuming he's the eldest male in the family, his birth year can be estimated as between 1770-1780.

Jeremiah Nichols married Sarah Parker Owen, the granddaughter of Richard Owen, who was also the maternal great-grandfather of Jeremiah Nichols, making them first cousins once removed.

Jeremiah and Sarah had the following children:
Priscilla O. Nichols
Mary K. Nichols
Coleman G. Nichols
David P. Nichols

Jeremiah remarried to Mary Susan Seymour on 12 July 1815. They had the following children:
William M. Nichols
Susan N. Nichols
George William Nichols
Sarah R. Nichols

Jeremiah married a third time to Susanna Vasser on 27 Nov 1845.

(marriage dates from Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT Microfilm 0031910-0031918)

Please share any information you have that proves or disproves any of the above, or, if you have any information on the Nichols of Halifax, please share.

Happy Hunting.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robert Overstreet 14 Apr 2002 1:23PM GMT 
Robert Overstreet 31 Jul 2002 2:52AM GMT 
Brenda Nichols 19 Sep 2002 12:08PM GMT 
Robert Overstreet 20 Sep 2002 1:13AM GMT 
shesgotsauce 9 May 2005 9:16AM GMT 
Bob 14 May 2005 9:20PM GMT 
shesgotsauce 17 May 2005 8:11AM GMT 
Bob 17 May 2005 12:51PM GMT 
Debra Barba 24 Dec 2005 2:22AM GMT 
mkcssm 12 Jun 2012 6:38PM GMT