Search for content in message boards

Brown/Standley/Standley Land Records

Replies: 0

Brown/Standley/Standley Land Records

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 7:10AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Standley, Stanley
I got real excited when I found the following mortgage in the Halifax co land records because it links my Elisha Brown, who married Martha Standley in 1805, to another member of the Standley family and indicates that he at one time owned land in Halifax co. However, I've combed through the indexes and find no reference to him either receiving this land or selling it. Any idea how I can find the documentation that describes the land and why it was given to him?

Dec 10, 1800 John Standley Jr., son of Richard, mortgage to James Bruce to secure payment of 59 pounds, 7 shillings and 2 pence; 163 acres whereon said Standley now lives… being the quantity relin’d (or reserv’d) after selling(?) Elisha Brown 37 acres now in his possession… bounded by lands of Ambrose Standley, John Roberts, Thomas Cardwell, William Thomas and Elisha Brown. Wit by Beverly Sydnor, Ambrose Standley, William Kirk and Mat Sims. DB 18, Pg. #509.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions