Search for content in message boards

Marmaduke STANFIELD Estate - d. 4 Sep 1801

Replies: 2

Marmaduke STANFIELD Estate - d. 4 Sep 1801

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 8:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jun 2013 7:26AM GMT
Surnames: Stanfield, Pleasants, Wilson, LeGrand
I am researching in Halifax County, Virginia, ancestors who were enslaved by Jesse PLEASANTS (d.1804) and subsequently his son John Smith PLEASANTS (d. 1856). I am specifically interested in a slave named MOURNING who was bequeathed along with her husband George in Jesse Pleasants' will (written 25 Nov 1803; probated 22 Oct 1804) to his son, John Smith Pleasants.

Mourning died in Jul 1853 and her death was recorded by John Smith Pleasants in the courthouse records. He gives her age at death as 75, indicating her birth c1778. Yet George and Mourning are not listed among Jesse Pleasants' slaves in the 1783 and 1784 tax records,

Three slaves named Mourning are listed in the 1783 and 1784 Halifax County, Va tax records for the following owners: Marmaduke Stanfield, Daniel Wilson, James LeGrand. I am targeting the records of Marmaduke Stanfield in that he died intestate in 1801 before Jesse Pleasants will was written, and some of his property was sold early in 1803. It is possible that Jesse Pleasants purchased Mourning - and possibly George - from this estate.

If anyone who has access to the Halifax County courthouse records can tell me if the inventory, account sales and/or administration of his estate has any information on what became of Mourning. If she was bequeathed to an heir of Marmaduke Stanfield or sold, and to whom.

There is great detail of the administration of his estate on this site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jrichmon/s... - and it indicates there was a sale of his property in 1803, but there are no details of the specific distribution of his slaves, which may be available in a court judgement.

I will be grateful for any help provided.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KreensChild 31 Mar 2013 2:30PM GMT 
ejay0611 5 Jun 2013 10:59PM GMT 
KreensChild 7 Jun 2013 10:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions