Search for content in message boards

Headley family on the 1860 census in Halifax

Replies: 0

Headley family on the 1860 census in Halifax

Posted: 16 May 2014 1:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Headley, Jennings
I am searching for information on the Headley family: Thomas M born in SC abt 1808, Ann M. born in NC abt 1818, William G. 1837, Thomas C. 1839, Ann M. 1842, John R. 1844, L.E. 1845, Ben R. 1852, and Rosa B. 1854. The seven children were all listed as born in Virginia. They showed up in the southern district of Halifax County on the 1860 census and I can't find any other sign of them. Thomas Sr. was listed as a house painter, Ann M. 1818 was a seamstress, William was a jeweler, and Thomas Jr. was also a painter. Given their occupations and the surrounding entries, they certainly lived in town. They were under the Halifax Court House postal district, but I think they might have lived in South Boston. As a railroad depot, it would have been more likely to support the large number and variety of occupations listed.

I'm interested in finding out if there is any connection to the Jennings family of Halifax County, Va. My 2nd G-grandfather, Joseph Jennings (1869-1942) was the son of William Jennings (1832-c.1910) and a woman named Julia born about 1847, married sometime in the mid 1860s. I haven't been able to find out anything more on Julia and couldn't find any clues among Joseph's siblings, but when I looked into Joseph's children (other than my g-grandmother) I noticed that he named his second son Headley. That name appears no where else in either family so I wondered if he could have been given Joseph's mother's maiden name. Joseph's first daughter was also named Rosa B., matching Thomas Headley's youngest daughter. This Headley family was the only one even near Halifax in the census prior to William's marriage to Julia. There is no Julia listed, but I wonder if that might be a scribe's error and "L. E." born in 1845 might be my Julia 1847?

Thanks

Christy

Find a board about a specific topic