Search for content in message boards

WOMACK

Replies: 8
Posted: 17 Dec 2012 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!

I hope this isn't a duplicate post as I think I hit the wrong button when I tried to send it a moment ago.

Sorry that it has taken me over 4 years to reply. I only work at this sporadically in the winter months and just missed your query.

We are not related to any Henderson or Rice families from Halifax Co., VA. However , there are some Rice families there today. Halifax is a very rural county to this day and full of families who have lived here for many generations so it is ripe for genealogical research.

Our Williams and Hodges ancestors have lived in Halifax Co since 1740.

However, I am descended from Hendersons on my paternal grandmother's side. These Hendersons lived in Roanoke Co and Franklin Counties, VA which are to the west of us. The 19th century westward migratory pattern from Southern VA counties went through Southwest VA . Unlike my mothers side, there are virtually no records aside from census data on our VA Hendersons as that line has died out . The only one who left any footprints was my great, great grandfather William Alexander Henderson from Roanoke Co. {Salem} VA. He was a school teacher in Salem, VA at the outbreak of the Civil War and enlisted in an artillery unit, Griffin's Flying Battery from Salem. He served as a cannoneer in Lee's Army of Northern VA in all of the major battles and survived Gettysburg, after which he went into the Infantry and received severe mutilating and disabling wounds at Cold Harbor in 1864. He was disabled for life and received a Confederate pension. He died at the home of a son and was buried in Franklin Co., VA shortly after the turn of the century.

If there is a connection, please advise.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Womack 18 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT 
sarah 27 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Mark Womack 11 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT 
brianhudd1 16 Mar 2007 3:51PM GMT 
kjbvue 2 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT 
patmusgrove1 22 Dec 2006 2:27AM GMT 
LucianHinerJr 21 May 2008 1:46AM GMT 
Christine Hen... 23 May 2008 4:30PM GMT 
LucianHinerJr 18 Dec 2012 1:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions