Search for content in message boards

FRAYSER FARM HOUSE BETW WILLIAMSBURG RD AND YORK RIVER RAILROAD...WHICH FRAYSER?

Replies: 4

FRAYSER FARM HOUSE BETW WILLIAMSBURG RD AND YORK RIVER RAILROAD...WHICH FRAYSER?

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 4:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frayser Frazier
During the last year of the Civil War, the cavalry brigade of Martin W. Gary had their HQ at the "Frayser Farm", about 4 miles east of Richmond off of Williamsburg Road (now US 60), and between the outer and 2nd eastern defense ring of works. This would be just west of Laburnam Avenue, and west of the Airport, and just south of I-64. This "Frayser Farm" is NOT the famous one that alternates with Glendale as the name of the famous Seven Days battle of June 1862, though they may in fact be related. To make it even more complicated, few period maps show it; the one I use is from 1867, and was a US Engineers map created to show the Richmond defenses as referenced in the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion series. Complicating matters is the small number of Fraysers showing in the 1860 census for Henrico Co.; several Fraysers had died in the 1840s & 1850s, so perhaps the name of the farm/house was vestigial, rather than that of the occupant. The burning question, then is: which Frayser's farm was this? As a related note, I'm not attached to anyone of this surname; my only interest is due to my work on an annotated memoir written by an officer in the 24th VA Cavalry, attached to Gary's Brigade. A letter recommending him for promotion, and some cavalry forage receipts, indicated the "Frayser" name for the farmhouse used as the brigade HQ. Per the map, the farmhouse sits about equidistant between Williamsburg Road and the York River RR, and about 3 miles west of Fair Oaks Station. It is possible, too, that the farm was owned by the family and run by an overseer, while the family was living in Richmond city.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dfletcher 2 Mar 2013 11:54PM GMT 
stemmatis 3 Mar 2013 1:57PM GMT 
dfletcher 3 Mar 2013 3:45PM GMT 
stemmatis 4 Mar 2013 3:13AM GMT 
dfletcher 4 Mar 2013 5:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions