Search for content in message boards

Henry Jones from Henry Co. VA

Replies: 1

Re: Henry Jones from Henry Co. VA

Posted: 5 May 2013 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I don't have a lot to go on, but have been trying to research a Henry Jones, too. My father (90 years young) is supposed to be related to him (all are Joneses, first names by generation are: Henry/Willis/Grief/Cabell/my dad). He married Frankie (Francis?), had about 5 children,then married Susannah. One of his wives was a Thompson, apparently - not sure which one. There's also a web link concerning a grist mill he built shortly before his death. http://roseweb .info/jones1.php

Jones Family information provided by Eliza Josephine Jones Grogan (born 4/29/1919), daughter of Willis Abner Jones (born 8/22/1876, died 8/22/1959 in Eden NC) will be shown in green below

Henry Jones, an immigrant from Wales, settled in the area of present day Henry County, Virginia by about 1750. Little is known about Henry, though family tradition says he lived to be over 100 years old (died July 9, 1810). He was a farmer in Henry County, owning farms on the Leatherwood Creek and the South Fork of the Sandy River. Henry's first documented land purchase in Henry County is dated 1784, when he bought 400 acres on the Sandy River from the Roberts brothers (see left sidebar). He was already living in Henry County at the time.

In 1794 Henry Jones bought an additional 200 acres of land on the Leatherwood Creek from American statesman Patrick Henry (the namesake of Henry County). Henry build a grist mill on his Leatherwood Creek land in 1806 (see left sidebar). Henry Jones died testate in Henry County, Virginia in 1810.

Children of the Immigrant
Henry married in Virginia to a woman named (Frankey) Thompson (children: Joseph, Fielding, Armstead, Mildred & Lewis). At his death he was married to Susannah (married in 1792; children: Winney-1793, Peter-1795, Willis-1797 & Delilah-1799). It is possible that Susannah was his second wife. He was the father of at least 10 children: Joseph, Fielding, Mildred, Elizabeth, Lewis, Armstead, Winney, Delilah, Peter and Willis. Most of the children left Henry County, Virginia for western lands.
Joseph Jones, the oldest child, remained in Henry County and had a large family and large estate. He also served as Sheriff of Henry County. Joseph's sons Greenwood and Fielding moved to Kentucky.
Col. Fielding Jones settled in the present day Union County, Kentucky before 1799.
Armstead Jones lived with brother Fielding in Mercer and Union Counties, Kentucky before I lose track of him in 1803.
Mildred is only known from her father’s will.
Elizabeth Lanier settled in Union County, Kentucky about 1808 after the death of her husband Benjamin Lanier.
Lewis Jones and his adult children moved to Warren County, Missouri in 1837.
Winney Alexander moved with her husband’s family to Cumberland County, Kentucky about 1805.
Peter Jones settled in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky about 1800.
Willis Jones remained in Henry County and had a large family. Son James Jones moved to Wisconsin before settling in Nebraska. Several of Willis’ children lived across the border in North Carolina.
Delilah Creasy may have settled in Cumberland County, Kentucky or somewhere in Tennessee.

Some Related Family Surnames
Thompson - Col. Fielding Jones' mother was a "Miss Thompson of Virginia." Henry Jones' will only calls his wife Susannah, and there is no mention of in-laws. Henry's children were born over a 35 year period, leading me to believe he was married more than once. His will also mentions the "older children" and the "younger children." There is about a 10 year break between the birth dates of these two groups of children.
Ashby -
Harding -
Lanier -
Creasey -
Alexander -
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SeanPRose 9 Jul 2012 3:12AM GMT 
skibear42 5 May 2013 8:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic