Search for content in message boards

Hefflefinger/Heffinger Family of Henry County, Virginia

Replies: 0

Hefflefinger/Heffinger Family of Henry County, Virginia

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 5:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hefflefinger, Heffelfinger, Heffinger, Hefflinger, Hefferfinger, Burgess, Pace, Huffman
I am researching the Hefflefinger family of Henry County, Virginia. The name is shown as Hefflefinger, Heffelfinger, Heffinger, Hefflinger and Hefferfinger on various documents and census records.

From what I have been able to ascertain, John Hefflefinger, Sr moved his family to Henry County from Limerick Township in what was then Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania sometime between 1783 and 1793. I have a land deed dated August 1793 where he purchased land on the Smith River. John Hefflefinger died in 1809 and his will lists some but not all of his children. He had at least three and probably four sons: John Jr, George, Jacob and possibly Henry. He only lists one daughter, Elizabeth Boyer or Royer. By the time his estate is settled in1819, Elizabeth has remarried a Huffman, had a daughter Sally Ann and is most likely widowed. His settlement is signed by all of these children plus his daughter's, Hanah, husband, John Montague Pace, and another daughter's husband, Peter Barger. The settlement is also signed by a Catherine Gibson who may be another daughter.

I descend for John's youngest son, Jacob, and his wife, Elizabeth Burgess. Elizabeth is the daughter of Davis Burgess and Lucy Pace. Lucy is the eldest daughter of Captain John Pace and aunt of John Montague Pace. The Hefflefinger, Pace and Burgess families were prominent farmers in the early 1800's in Henry County.

I am trying to tie together all of the Hefflefinger/Heffinger/Hefferfinger descendants from early 1800 Henry County. There are two men who would have been born in the very early 1800's who I can not identify their parents. One is Harrison Hefflefinger and the other is a James Hefflefinger, born about 1806. There is no record on any census for Harrison and James moved to Missouri in the 1830's then on to Texas. This is such an unusual name that it seems that these two must somehow be related to my branch of the family.

I would be most interested in hearing from anyone who might be a descendant of one of these families.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions