Search for content in message boards

Suter of Isle of Wight?

Replies: 2

Re: Suter of Isle of Wight?

Posted: 6 Nov 2011 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Suter ; Luter ; Stringfellow
>>On the other hand, there does seem to be a difference between Suter & List, on the appraisement (WB4:294). >>

Thanks, this reference to the Suter/Luter differences, and to what the clerks wrote at the time, this was more than illuminating. After reading both the Will and the Appraisement, I am more than convinced that the deceased was John Suter.

If you look at the page of WB4:296--at the very end of the Appraisement--you will find the name written twice. There, you will also find the word, 'Southampton' written in-between the lines of the two name entries. The 'S' of the last name, and the 'S' of Southampton, are, to my eye, one and the same. There is no visible difference.

The next generation seems to have moved on…not just from Isle of Wight, but also from Southampton. John 'the immigrant' had a son, also John, who marries a Stringfellow, in King George Co. John the younger dies by 1820, and his son--also John-- and family, move on to Kentucky. This youngest John Suter married an Asbury, in Woodford Co, KY--from there the family continues westward, and comes to rest in marion Co., MO.

As to the Suter/Luter matter, it would be most interesting if any male Luters, living in Isle of Wight, would be genectic genealogy DNA tested. And then, to match the Luter results with the Suter results. The Suters--including a cousin of mine--have already been tested at Family Tree DNA.

Thanks again, for the reply and for the very helpful references.

Nicholas

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
iisentaku 6 Nov 2011 3:45PM GMT 
Zoobug64 6 Nov 2011 4:50PM GMT 
iisentaku 6 Nov 2011 5:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions