Search for content in message boards

Frances Martin ~ 1919

Replies: 1

Frances Martin ~ 1919

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin - Alexander - Seal - Garnett
Please bear with me...
In August 1939 Frances Martin gave birth to a son. She named him Joseph John. Frances wasn't married at the time. At some point, Joe went to live as a foster child with Lewis and Mildred (Garnett) Seal. Over the first few years Frances visited Joe at the Seal's farm. On one such visit, Frances brought a bible to Joe. On the inside of the bible Frances wrote a note to her son. It said something like: To my son. Love your mother, Frances Martin. Family lore has it that Frances met a man and wanted to marry but the gentleman either didn't know about her son or didn't want to take her son or perhaps the foster family didn't want to let him go. However it happened, Joe stayed with the Seals and was adopted by them. To the best of his memory he never saw his mother again. Joe was roughly 5 years old when this happened. Fast forward 47 years and Joe is now my father-in-law who shares with me on Christmas that he's not only adopted but that he has a twin brother. The twin's name is the same as his, only transposed. John Joseph. John was placed in a different foster home and thereby adopted by a different family. The name of this family is not known to me. It is believed that John died in mid 1992 but without a last name I can't even begin to find him. Joe said he ran into him a few times growing up and after but he didn't share his brother's adopted last name. Joe died in April 1993. Fast forward to now. After years of searching and hunting I believe I have finally stumbled upon the family of Frances Martin, birth mother of Joe Seal. I have found the 1940 census with a Frances Martin age 20 living with her 8 month old son, Joseph J Martin at a home for indigent women and children. This home was located in Centreville, VA, Fairfax County. It lists Frances' home as King and Queen and that in 1935 that's where she had been living. It lists Joe as being 8 months old. The census was taken in April 1940. Joe was 8 months old in April 1940. It lists his place of birth as the District of Columbia, Washington. The name of the home was IVAKOTA FARM. I have looked into this place and it was not only a place for indigent women with children but unwed/expectant mothers. Because of the information from the 1940 census, and the little I was given years ago, I believe I finally found Joe - and with the age of Frances, I believe I have finally found the Martin family in King and Queen from which she came. But I'm not sure and have no way of confirming without the aid of someone in that family who might know the truth and be willing to help me. The Martin family in King and Queen that I believe is the biological line of my ex-husband, and thereby my children and grandchildren, is that of Thomas H and Molly Lou (Alexander) Martin. Frances was one of approximately 12 children. The younger children in the family might even still be alive today. I've found where Frances later married a man name Earl Norman. I have found cemetary records for a Frances L and Ernest E Norman in Culpeper, VA. Their SSDI show that Frances obtained her SS# in Fairfax (where IVAKOTA FARM was) and that Ernest E obtained his in Loudon. I have found an Ernest EARL Norman from Loudon and an Ernest Earl who joined the Army in 1941. He was discharged in 1945. Joe Martin turned 6 in 1945. If this Frances that was married to this Earl is Joe's mother, then I believe I have the right families.

Phew..... now, is there ANYONE out there who can help me with this? I have 3 children and 6 grandchildren who are biologically part of this/these family(ies) and I would really like to find their correct ancestors.

Thank you all for reading my LONG story. I pray someone can help me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dgrosz169 7 Sep 2012 7:45PM GMT 
Jeanette Nels... 9 Sep 2012 10:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions