Is anyone researching MORRIS/MORRISS lines from these counties in VA: Spotsylvania, Richmond, Orange, Fauquier, Bedford, Westmoreland, King George. Mine seemed to have picked a new county for each life event. :D
The descendants of Ewell/Youel MORRISS went to Lincoln and Pike Co., MO. I am not sure if this family is related to the Israel MORRIS line (son of Jacob and Hannah [BURDINE] MORRIS of Loudoun/Bedford Co.) that also settled there, but maybe. This family was biased towards spelling their name with 2 s', suggesting literacy, since they would have to constantly be correcting the recorder's spelling. I have more on the descendants of Sanders, Hannah, Margaret, Simon, and Ewell.
Here is the line:
1. Charles MORRISS, b.c.1712; d.1797 Westmoreland Co., VA. m. to Hannah [RICE?]
2. Sanders MORRISS, d. May 1810; m. 1779 Fauquier Co., VA to Mary PAYNE
2. Simon MORRISS, Sr., b. 11 Dec. 1766 VA; m. 7 Sept. 1789 Richmond Co., VA; d. 25 Sept. 1834 Taliaferro Co., GA
2. Hannah MORRISS, m. (1) 29 Jan 1787 Westmoreland Co., VA to Jeremiah MOXLEY. (2) 30 Oct 1805 Fauquier Co., VA James SPRINGFELLOW
2. Mary "Molly" MORRISS, d.Jan. 1831; m. (1) 25 Dec 1787 Westmoreland Co., VA to Weeden ARNOLD; (2) 24 Jun 1791 Westmoreland co., VA to Samuel MUSE; (3) 4 Jan 1796 Westmoreland Co., VA to John BUTLER
2. Sarah MORRISS, d. bef. 1793; m. 25 Jan. 1791 Westmoreland Co., VA to William STONE
2. Margaret "Peggy" MORRISS, m. 9 Mar 1793 Westmoreland Co., VA to William STONE
2. Ewel(l) (Youel, Yovel) MORRISS, b. 1773 Westmoreland Co., VA; d. 27 May 1835 Spotsylvania Co., VA; m. (1) 7 Dec 1797 King George Co., VA to Jane BOON(E); (2) 24 Jun 1805 King George Co., VA to Ursula THORNLEY [or RIDING?]
2. Susannah MORRISS, b. 4 Mar 1778; d. 25 Feb 1807 Greence? Co., GA; m. 28 Nov 1796 Westmoreland Co., VA to Thomas LYNE
2. Elizabeth "Betty" MORRISS, m. 23 Mar 1801 Westmoreland Co., VA to James JOHNSON
Three known children of Ewell MORRISS went to Lincoln/Pike Co. areas of MO: Charles Rice MORRISS m. Elizabeth MASON (to Pike then Lincoln ca1838), John T. MORRISS m. Emily A. SCOTT (to Pike ca.1855 or 1856) and James Y. MORRISS m. Judith B. STEWART (to Pike ca1855). Would appreciate any information on these and other children of Ewell: William B., George Green, Frederick M., Austin A., Jane E. and Margaret H.
Would appreciate any information on the ancestors and descendants of Charles and Hannah [RICE?] MORRISS.