Search for content in message boards

Cherokee Indians from the Osborn / Allen / Collins Family's of Lee County, Va, which was also using the "Melungian" cover story!

Replies: 0

Cherokee Indians from the Osborn / Allen / Collins Family's of Lee County, Va, which was also using the "Melungian" cover story!

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Byington, Collins, Collier, Hall, Osborn(e)
Cherokee Indians could not own property in the State of Georgia where Gold was found at the Cherokee Capital New Echota and this included the states of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia, after 1840. Many stayed in the Smoky Mountains, rather than march the Trail of Tears to Indian Territory. Many Cherokees looked as white as anyone else, after 300 years of inter-marriage with whites.
Margaret ( Nee Hall ), Osborn was born in Cherokee Territory in 1799-1804. She married Andrew Jackson Osborn(e). This Osborn(e)family on census records in Lee County, VA. Children include Eliza, Martha, Margaret, Cynthia, Alfred and my GG-Grandfather Job(e). Margaret ( Nee Hall )Osborn(e) and children are listed this way. We believe that the Cherokee heritage was covered up all during the late 1800's, for obvious reasons.
When I was a child, my paternal g-mother Alene ( Nee Allen-Osborn ) Byington always said that her family are disenfranchised Cherokee's that remained behind from the Trail of Tears removal of the Cherokee Nation.

We've been told through oral tradition that many groups that walked to the Oklahoma Territories, had ran away from the U.S. Soldiers during the forced removal and that some groups were able to ( Pass as White )assimilate into the white population & and many hid in the Mountainous Ridges of Tenn, Kentucky, and Virginia to avoid removal during the Trail of Tears. It is historical fact that many Cherokees avoided capture and stayed in the Smokey Mountains. After word of the thousands dying on the Trail of Tears, many Cherokees, who were imprisoned in stockades scattered around Tennessee, while waiting to be started on the "death march", gave up small children to friendly whites settlers.

There are many Eastern Band Cherokee's listed on the Tribal Rolls with the Surnames of Osborn / Allen / Collins, and many Byingtons listed among Choctaw Tribal Rolls.

Could there be a Link to these Dis-enfranchised ( Native Americans ) Cherokee's wanting to stay in their ancestral homelands ( Of Lee County Virginia / Tennessee / Western N.C. and Kentucky by claiming themselves as non-Indians such as Melungeon's.

Only (1) one Cherokee was granted U.S. Citizenship and allowed to stay in North Carolina at the start of the Trail of Tears removal, about seven weeks into the journey, Junaluska deserted and led approximately 500 other Cherokee. He was soon captured and returned to Oklahoma but after only a couple of years, Junaluska made the trip back to North Carolina on foot, and in 1847 after a plea by Col. Thomas, the state legislature of North carolina rewarded him for his service by making him a citizen and awarding him and his band of Cherokee land near present-day Robbinsville, N.C.

Cherokee descendants in Lee County, Va early 1800's thru 2013? I say it's possible!

Please see my below request for any family information, of these Disenfranchised Cherokee's.

Please share any family history be it from Census Record / Family Bible / Property Land Deed / Church Record / of the following Lee County, Va Family's Surnames: ( Henry Joseph ) Allen family / ( Dorcas Adeline ) Collins family / ( Margarette )Hall family / ( Naoma Nayoma Naomi ) Osborn family / ( Alene )Byington-Boynton family.

Thanks for your info / assistance.
Cherokee Boynton.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions