I have just discovered the Lee County website and I see by your post that you requested information nearly a year ago. Hopefully you have found the answers to your questions by now. If not, maybe the info below will help. I was raised in Lee County. My gggrandfather was Joseph Harrison Marcum, the father of David A. Marcum. My grandfather Joseph Clint and David A. were brothers.
Descendants of Thomas Markham
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS1 MARKHAM was born Abt. 1600 in England, and died Aft. 1679 in Virginia. He married SUSAN GREENLEAFE Aft. 1635 in Henrico Co, Va..
Notes for THOMAS MARKHAM:
Thomas Markham, Sr.(ENGLAND1):Land Patent: July 11, 1636, 300 Acres on Curles of the James RiverSailed: July 24, 1635, From Graves End England on Ship Assurance for Virginia
Child of THOMAS MARKHAM and SUSAN GREENLEAFE is:
2. i. THOMAS2 MARKHAM II, b. Abt. 1640, Henrico Co, Va..
Generation No. 2
2. THOMAS2 MARKHAM II (THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1640 in Henrico Co, Va.. He married UNKNOWN in Virginia.
Child of THOMAS MARKHAM and UNKNOWN is:
3. i. ARTHUR3 MARKHAM I, b. Abt. 1670, Henrico Co, Va.; d. March 31, 1732, Henrico Co, Va..
Generation No. 3
3. ARTHUR3 MARKHAM I (THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1670 in Henrico Co, Va., and died March 31, 1732 in Henrico Co, Va.. He married FRANCES Bef. 1712.
Children of ARTHUR MARKHAM and FRANCES are:
i. THOMAS4 MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1712.
ii. ELEANOR MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1717.
4. iii. ARTHUR MARKHAM II, b. 1720-1730, Henrico Co, Va.; d. Aft. 1791, Bedford County, Va..
iv. FRANCES MARKHAM, b. February 06, 1721/22.
Generation No. 4
4. ARTHUR4 MARKHAM II (ARTHUR3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 1720-1730 in Henrico Co, Va., and died Aft. 1791 in Bedford County, Va.. He married (1) UNKNOWN Bef. 1752. He married (2) MARTHA HILL May 02, 1770 in Bedford County, Va..
Notes for ARTHUR MARKHAM II:
"Arthur, the second son of Arthur of Henrico, owned a plantation in Prince Edward County, and had four sons, all of whom fought in the Revolutionary War. (20) They were: 1) James, born in 1752; 2) Thomas, born 15 July 1757 according to his pension application; 3) Arthur, also born in 1757 if his enlistment age is correct; 4) John (ggggg grandfather), born in 1764.The Markham plantation was 200 acres described in the deed as bounded by the property of Samuel Morrison and William North and the Ridge Road; and on the tax roll it is described as "adjacent to Peyton Randolph's Spring Creek Estate". (25) First of the sons to see action in the Revolution was Thomas, who volunteered in the local company of "Minute Men" of Prince Edward County. Minute Men companies were organized in most counties prior to the Revolution to be ready to go anywhere needed on a "minute's notice" for however long they might be needed. The Price Edward unit was called 1 April, 1776 to perform guard duty along the coast at Hampton, the strategic entrance to Chesapeake Bay and mouth of the James River. They were on this duty nearly nine months, and exchanged fire with British ships several times. In his pension application many years later, Thomas recalls that when news of the Declaration of Independence reached the unit, they proudly paraded up and down the beach within sight of the British warships offshore, and fired thirteen rounds (for the Thirteen colonies) in honor to the great event! What a day in history!.(26) "
Children of ARTHUR MARKHAM and UNKNOWN are:
i. JAMES5 MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1752.
ii. ARTHUR MARKHAM III, b. Abt. 1757.
iii. THOMAS MARKHAM, b. July 15, 1758.
5. iv. JOHN MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1764, Prince Edward Co, Va.; d. Abt. 1838, Bedford County, Va..
Child of ARTHUR MARKHAM and MARTHA HILL is:
v. SARAH5 MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1771.
Generation No. 5
5. JOHN5 MARKHAM (ARTHUR4, ARTHUR3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1764 in Prince Edward Co, Va., and died Abt. 1838 in Bedford County, Va.. He married JENNY (EADS) EDDS January 15, 1784 in Campbell Co, Va..
Notes for JOHN MARKHAM:
Moved to: 1785, Bedford County, Va., with father.
John Markham Bedford County Private Virginia Militia $31.11 annual allowance $93.33 amount received May 11, 1833 pension started age 70.
Botetourt Co., VA Deed Record Deed Book 31 / page 42 / page 43 John Markham and Nathaniel Markham
This indenture made and entered into this seventh day of August 1830, between John Markham of the one part and Nathaniel Markham of the other part witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred and fifty five dollars is hand paid the receipt whereof the said John Markham doth acknowledge, have granted, bargained, and sold and by these presents, do grant, bargain, sell and confirm unto the said Nathaniel Markham, his heirs and forever, one certain track or parcel of land lying and being in the county of Botetourt and bounded as followeth to wit: Beginning at two chestnut oaks, thence South 80 West exiting a branch twice and another branch 212 holes to an ash and beech on the middle fork of Jennings Creek thence down the said Creek as it meanders to two white walnut trees thence a straight line to the beginning. To have and to hold the said land and premises unto the said Nathaniel Markham and the said John Markham do hereby coverant and agree to warrant and forever defend the said land and premises against himself or any other person or persons whatsoever unto the said Nathaniel Markham, his heirs and assigns, forever. In witness whereof be the said John Markham have hereunto set his hand and seal the day and year first above written. John Markham (seal) Signed, seal and delivered in presence of : Nicholas Markham James E. Markham John Rider Botetourt County Court of Clerk's office the 14th February 1831; This deed was this day exhibited in said office and proved by the oaths of Nicholas Markham and James E. Markham, two of the subscribing witnesses thereto and continues for further proof, And on the 19th day of February 1851, the said deed was fully proved by the oath of John Rider the other subscribing witness thereto, and admitted to record. Teste Wm. Robinson, D.C.
Children of JOHN MARKHAM and JENNY EDDS are:
i. WILLIAM6 MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1786.
ii. NATHANIEL E. MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1789.
6. iii. JOSIAH MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1790, Virginia; d. October 09, 1842, Lee County, Va..
iv. JAMES E. MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1791.
v. SARAH (SALLY) MARKHAM, b. 1792-1795.
vi. JOHN W. MARKHAM JR., b. Abt. 1793.
Generation No. 6
6. JOSIAH6 MARKHAM (JOHN5, ARTHUR4, ARTHUR3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1790 in Virginia, and died October 09, 1842 in Lee County, Va.. He married MARY POLLY BALES January 10, 1815 in Bedford County, Va..
Children of JOSIAH MARKHAM and MARY BALES are:
i. WILLIAM A.7 MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1817.
ii. ALEXANDER LEFTRIDGE MARKHAM, b. December 27, 1818.
iii. GEORGE MARKHAM, b. November 15, 1822.
7. iv. ALFRED MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1824, Lee County, Va..
v. HARRISON COLUMBUS MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1826.
vi. NANCY ANN MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1828.
vii. SALINA E. MARKHAM, b. March 30, 1830.
viii. RACHEL MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1832.
ix. JAMES MARKHAM, b. January 1836.
x. JOHN ROBERT MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1838.
xi. ROBERT BALES MARKHAM, b. Abt. 1840.
Generation No. 7
7. ALFRED7 MARKHAM (JOSIAH6, JOHN5, ARTHUR4, ARTHUR3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born Abt. 1824 in Lee County, Va.. He married LAVINA REBECCA THOMAS.
Children of ALFRED MARKHAM and LAVINA THOMAS are:
8. i. JOSEPH HARRISON8 MARCUM, b. August 31, 1846, Rose Hill, (Lee County) Va.; d. December 08, 1926, Lee County, Va..
ii. MARY E. MARCUM, b. 1849.
iii. JOHN MARCUM, b. 1851.
iv. STEPHEN MARCUM, b. 1853.
v. WILLIAM THOMAS MARCUM, b. 1855.
vi. GEORGE M. MARCUM, b. May 01, 1856.
vii. SARYAN MARCUM, b. 1858.
viii. ROBERT MARCUM, b. 1860.
Generation No. 8
8. JOSEPH HARRISON8 MARCUM (ALFRED7 MARKHAM, JOSIAH6, JOHN5, ARTHUR4, ARTHUR3, THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born August 31, 1846 in Rose Hill, (Lee County) Va., and died December 08, 1926 in Lee County, Va.. He married BARBARA ELLEN CAMPBELL.
Children of JOSEPH MARCUM and BARBARA CAMPBELL are:
i. DAVID A.9 MARCUM, b. August 22, 1869; d. December 27, 1951; m. ELLEN VAN HUSS.
ii. JOHN NATHANIEL MARCUM, b. January 08, 1872.
iii. HENRY MARCUM, b. March 15, 1875.
iv. JAMES R. MARCUM, b. 1878.
v. IDA ANN MARCUM, b. January 05, 1880.
vi. CHARLES WILLIAM MARCUM, b. May 15, 1882.
vii. MARY LAVINA MARCUM.
9. viii. JOSEPH CLINT MARCUM, b. September 07, 1887, Lee County, Va.; d. May 11, 1960, Rose Hill, (Lee County) Va..
ix. SARAH MARTHA MARCUM.
x. JOSIE MARCUM.