Search for content in message boards

SCATTERDAY

Replies: 1

Re: SCATTERDAY

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: scatterday hough beans white
Glen: my son Jack just completed phase 1 of his eagle scout project at arnold grove cemetery in Hillsboro VA where Aaron Scatterday (and some of the others you mention) is buried. In fact, his is one of the 7 veteran's we renovated over Veteran's Day weekend. we happened to find his GGGgranddaughter nancy m. who had recovered his 1812 war marker and we reinstalled it, too. we also restored his wife's headstone, and joseph edgar hough which was right next to theirs. The other vets are from the civil war including Thomas and Samuel Hough and william beans. By restoration, i mean a full rebuild of 20" gravel foundation and new fiberglass rods to replace the rotted steel, so that they will stand tall for another 100 years or more.

phase 2 of jack's eagle project is fundraising for 13 iron crosses (he has funds for 9 so far) so that all 15 civil war vets here will have one (only 2 do), then he'll go back to restore 4 more headstones and install the crosses. Lastly, jack is working w/ the sons of the confederacy to hold an iron cross dedication ceremony this spring. it sounds like you are in the area, so let me know if you'd like an update when a date is set. We'll have a 6-gun salute and hope to make it a special ceremony.

i am VERY interested in what you know of George's parents, you mention his mother is a CRAIG. Jack's eagle project was inspired 2 years ago when we discovered we were not the first craigs in loudoun and that 9 are buried in North fork as well as 9 more in sharon/middleburg. there are no Craigs' buried at arnold grove, but it would be really neat if we still had a connection here!

here are all the vets at arnold grove:
THOMPSON , WILLIAM HUGH
HOUGH, THOMAS E
CLENDENING , WILLIAM T
SPATES , JOHN T
LAY , CRAVEN C
BEANS , WILLIAM H
HAMMERLY , JOHN W
MAYO , JOSEPH R
FOLLIN , IRA
WHITE , THOMAS LT
SCATTERDAY , AARON (1812)
MILTON , JOHN
WHITE, JOHN R
HOUGH , SAMUEL W
LESLIE, THOMAS
LESLIE, WILLIAM A
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Glen Scatterday 12 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT 
lcraig195 29 Nov 2012 8:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions