Search for content in message boards

Lumm family

Replies: 1

Re: Lumm family

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 1:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lome / Lom / Lumm / Lumbe
There exists a genforum.genealogy.com Lum Family Genealogy Forum (I'm not a member) that connects "Lum" to "Lom" and "Lombe". See http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/lumm#ixzz15WNHdS5L . I've also done a lot of research on this name. My family is a Jewish family from the shtetl's of E. Europe which immigrated to Chicago starting in the 1880's. However, it was connected to a family of the same name that immigrated here earlier from Baden-Wurttemburg. The name appears as a location name throughout the Germanic world, in Norway, Silesia, and the Low Countries. In addition, there are hundreds of entries for Lome / Lum / Lom in UK records going back centuries--the earliest I've found are in the 12th century. I believe there exists a connection between these names and "Lombard" and "Lambert". In Yiddish, "Lom" is a Low German form of "Lamm", meaning "lamb". "Lamb" is not Indo-European in origin--it only exists in Germanic languages but not in any other branch, so like many German words came from some older language family that merged with an Indo-European dialect to form proto-Germanic. The original referents of "Lom" all I think pertained to an Old European pastoral population that spoke such an older language. Somehow, we should integrate our efforts. Evidently, genforum is now part of Ancestry also.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ken Rrockwell 8 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
louislome 24 Apr 2013 7:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions