Search for content in message boards

Walter Bailey and/or Walter David Bailey of Virginia

Replies: 0

Walter Bailey and/or Walter David Bailey of Virginia

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 10:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bailey, Pope, Melton
This is a followup to my post of July 20. Also posted in Mecklenburg and Bailey forums.

We are trying to find my wife's grandfather Walter Bailey. He did not marry my wife's grandmother. She was Margie Juanita Pope. Here’s what we know:

1. Margie Juanita Pope b 7 Mar 1907 prob Caldwell Co, North Carolina went by Nita and married George Washington BROWN prob abt 1928 and Lee Jack TURLINGTON abt 1952, both North Carolina.
2. Nita was with her family in 1920 in Boydton, Mecklenburg Co, Virginia. They were back in NC by 1930.
3. Nita's daughters Floy Mae Pope and Toye Belle Pope b 16 Jun 1924 Lunenburg Co, VA. We do not know why their birth is show as Lunenburg Co when the fam was in Mecklenburg Co.
4. Family tradition says that Walter Bailey was the father and was about the same age as Nita so would have been born about 1907.
5. 1930 census shows Floy and Toye in Tarboro, Edgecombe Co, NC, & shows their father born NC.
6. By 1930 Nita Brown was married to George Brown and living in Nash Co, NC near her daughters.
7. By 1940 the twins were living with Nita and George in Dunn, Harnett Co, NC.

Walter David Bailey b abt 1908 in Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC is the only Walter Bailey in our searches who could reasonably be the Walter Bailey we are looking for. He is the right age at the right place to be my wife's grandfather. Another researcher found him and his fam in Boydton in the early 1920s. They did not return to Spartanburg area until the late 1930s. They are in the 1930 census in Boydton.

I have a photo of him posted on the MeltonMcGlynn tree on Ancestry. The tree is also on Rootsweb. If any of this rings a bell please email LRAYVICK@cox.net or message me on here RAYVICK51.

Lawrence Pope and family were living in Boydton, Mecklenburg Co, VA in 1920. Lunenburg Co is adjacent. Floy had a twin sister Toye Belle Pope deceased. The birth cert for Floy does not show a father and for reasons we do not know was amended in 1975.

Floy is still living. She is being dna tested by Ancestry.

So far the descendants of Walter David Bailey do not have any knowledge of him fathering the twins. It is possible that the tradition of Walter Bailey being the twin's dad is a falsehood or a partial truth e.g. their dad may have been say Robert Walter Bailey or Walter Hailey or some such.

Related trees on ancestry are "David Bailey Family Tree and B-1" under witty5 and "MeltonMcGlynn" under my user name RAYVICK51. I show Floy as deceased in the MeltonMcGlynn tree so you can see her data and photos.

My apologies to any of Walter David Bailey's family if we are wrong about this. I know such questions can be painful.

Ray & Sherry Vick
San Diego
619-733-5745

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions