Search for content in message boards

John Dudgeon, Lunenburg county, Va. 1762 (Cubb Creek Area?)

Replies: 0

John Dudgeon, Lunenburg county, Va. 1762 (Cubb Creek Area?)

Posted: 23 Apr 2014 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query

From Lunenburg County, Va. Court Order Book 7. At a Court held Mar 4, 1762. “Present for Examination of John Dudgeon for feloniously killing of Abraham Garret. Matthew Marable, Wm. Goode, John Speed, David Caldwell (justices) Prisoner Dudgeons pleads not guilty; witnesses examined; Court declares prisoner ought to be tried for said supposed fact at 6th day next General Court at Capitol in Williamsburg. Witness Elizabeth Garrett swears that on Thursday evening she saw prisoner strike the deceased on the head with wooden pitch fork which she thinks occasioned his death the following Monday morning; blood ran out of his ears, nose, mouth the most part of the night he received the blow.
Signed Elizabeth (X) Garrett

Witness Jas Carrell swears that on Feb 18 he saw prisoner give deceased a blow with a pitch fork on the head which he thinks occasioned his death & that he died the Monday following; at the time the blow was given, the deceased was turned away from the father of the prisoner at the distance of 3-4 yards.
Signed Jas.(X) Carrell

Elizabeth Garrett & Jas. Carrell give bond for their appearance at Gen. Ct. Williamsburg

John Dudgeons & Richard Dudgeons give bond for their appearance at Gen Ct. Williamsburg.”
(end quote)

This is not my line but I am curious about the resolution of the trial in Williamsburg. I suspect this John Dudgeon may be a son or grandson of the original Dudgeons of the Cubb Creek Presbyterian Settlement. Some of the old “traditional” stories even claim the Dudgeons may have been in-laws to old John Caldwell. I have never seen any primary source proof of that but who knows? Does anyone know the earlier lineage of the above John and Richard Dudgeon? I have an interest in all the old pioneers of Cubb Creek. Edwin

Find a board about a specific topic