Search for content in message boards

Winns of Lunenburg Co.

Replies: 11

Re: Winns of Lunenburg Co.

Carolyn Markie (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 1:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson, Winn, Roach, Dowdy, Westbrook
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I moved and changed e-mail address.Yes. That Elizabeth is the same one. Her parents were William Roach and Martha Jackson. Martha's father was Josiah Jackson whos will was dated 3 Sept 1786 and his wife Elizabeth. According to several Wills, Josiah had 2 brothers, Benjamin and Joel. In a court order dated 14 Aug 1820 it was ordered that Martha Roach be appointed guardian of Carter Josiah Jackson Roach, Elizabeth Ann Roach and Martha William Roach, orphan children of William Roach. A year later the guardian is changed to David G. Williams. Don't know why this happened.I had originally thought that Carter married Dolly Westbrook, but in looking back at the record, it says Carter Jackson, not Roach, married Dolly, so I have that part wrong. However, Elizabeth did marry James Winn and Martha married a Mr. John Dowdy. In a will written in 1833, a Carter Roach of Campbell Co., VA leaves his estate to his mother, Martha Roach. and when Martha Roach died (her will dated 1837) she left her estate to Elizabeth and Martha. Something must have happened in the family for a new guardian to have been named and also that Elizabeth Ann Jackson Roach went by the name of Elizabeth Ann Jackson on several occasions.Also, there is a note that in 1790 Martha and Carter Jackson , orphans of Josiah, buy 121 acres from Benjamin Jackson as Executor of Josiah's will. Therefore, I think that Martha's brother (not son) was the one who married Dolly in 1805. the person acting as surity for Carter and Dolly is a Stewart Jackson who is the son of Benjamin Jackson...Josiah's brother. I know this is long and involved..hope you can follow it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Carolyn Winn Markie 8 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Chloe Hannah 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Carolyn Winn Markie 19 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
jeriewilliams 7 May 2002 2:37PM GMT 
tootin144 3 Jan 2011 3:45AM GMT 
AudreyHandy80 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Carolyn Markie 7 Feb 2003 7:34PM GMT 
JerrieJackson... 5 Oct 2002 12:28PM GMT 
Carolyn Markie 7 Feb 2003 8:11PM GMT 
JerrieMcIngva... 7 Feb 2003 8:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions