Search for content in message boards

Brownley Horn Harbour

Replies: 0

Brownley Horn Harbour

Posted: 12 Aug 2012 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brownley, Armistead, Hayes, Foster, Hudgins, Minter, Burroughs, Billups
I'm a decendant of Rev John Brownley (c 1861 - 1833) and his wife Johanna Armistead (c.1975-1854) who lived in Mathews County Virginia on Horn Harbour. Their property is shown on a very nice survey plat dated 1835 No. 259 found on page 151 of Mathews County Plat Book 1. The plat shows an illustration of the house and windmill along Horn Harbour. The land was divided by a decree of the County Court in November 1834 following the death of John. The plat lists the following names of ownership: Johanna Brownley, widow; Robert W, Leroy McK & Larkin C. Brownley; William M Brownley, Rosey Hayes and the orphans of Milton Brownley. Adjacent property owners listed are John Foster, Joel Hudgins, Jno. Brownley, Sands Smith, James Brownley &, William Minter

I've been trying to find additional records of Rev John Brownley to determine the relationship to the above people and his parents names. I'm reviewing available Land Tax Records, Federal Census and newspapers. Here are several related facts found:

"Died in Mathews Co., on Saturday, February 2, 1833, Rev. John Brownley, an elder in the Methodist Church, age about 72, leaves wife and six (6) children. American Beacon. Pub: Thursday, March 7, 1833.";

"Died, of congestive fever, the 23rd ultimo, at the residence of Brother John Forrest, in the county of Mathews, LEROY M. BROWNLEY, in the 20th year of his age, son of the Rev. John Brownley, dec'd. He embraced religion several years ago in Portsmouth. Brother of the Rev. Wm. M. Brownley, the deceased leaves behind an affectionate mother, one sister and four brothers. The funeral service was by the Rev. Wm. A. Billups.

"William M Brownley (white) died Dec 18, 1867, 62 yr, son of John and Sally Brownley; Husband of Lucy Brownley. Born and died in Mathews.";

"Brownley, Robert W., (wh), age 65 years, died August, 1891; cause: dysentery. Parents: unknown. Occupation: fisherman. Source of info: J. W. Burroughs, friend.";

"Brownley, Larkin C, b. 27 July 1830 d 17 Dec 1917 ship carpenter, source: Baltimore, Maryland death certificate No. D-10198";

"Brownley, Mary F age 21 b. c 1828-9 source 1850 Federal Census Mathews County p 1 - possible daughter or daughter in law of Rev. John Brownley?"

Based on the 1833 obituary above "leaves ... six children" Another child was living. I do not know the name of this additional child. Possibly another son based on the 1848 obituary of Leroy M Brownley " leaves... one sister and four brothers".

It appears that Rev. John Brownley may have been married to Sally (William M.'s mother) prior closer to 1800 and later married to Johanna Armistead before 1827.

I would greatly appreciate collaboration from anyone with additional information.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions