Hi Gwynn researchers-
Does anyone have reliable information to bridge the Atlantic? Most the following information appears in Thomas Felix HickersonÂ¹s book "Happy Valley" published by the author in Chapel Hill, NC in 1940. Some information is from History of the Gwydir Family by Sir John Wynn, written after 1580 (1990, Gomer Press), and History of the Gwin Family, by Jesse Blain Gwin, 1961, self-published.
-3. Meredith Wynne of Y Gesail Gyfarch and Gwydir (d. March 1525) m. Alice, dau. William Gruffudd (spelling in Welsh). Meredith was the first to use the last name "Wynne" or "Wyn." Hickerson says it was Morris (-1) who adopted the name, though a brother was John "Gwyn."
-2. John Wynne of Gwydir (d. July 9, 1559) m. Elin, dau. Morus ap John of Clennau (sp., Welsh)
-1. Morris Wynne of Gwdyir m. Jane, dau. of Sir Bulkeley of Beaumaris. MorrisÂ¹s brother
1. Sir John Wynne of Gwydir, 1st Baronet (1553-1626/7) m. Sydney Gerrard (dau. of William Gerard, Lord Chancelor of Ireland). They lived at Gwydir Castle, Llanwrst, Wales (North). John Wynne chronicled history of family to King Cymbeline, 47 AD (so he claimed).
2. Owen (Capt.) Wynne m. Grace Williams (d. 1667)(dau. of Hugh Williams). Owen came to VA in 1611. Representative for London Company. Possibly granted Gwyn Island by James I.
Note: It is sketchy just who the father of the Col. Hugh Gwyn below is.
3. Hugh (Col.) Gwyn (1618-1699) m. Elizabeth (or Ann?) Fielding. Of Milford Haven, Wales. Obtained land grant of GwynnÂ¹s Island and 6000 acres on the Potomac River.
4. John (Rev.; rector 1672-1680) Gwyn (1650-??) m. ???
5. Hugh Gwyn (1702-1768) m1. Peyton Humphrey. They lived in Gwynsville, Gwyn Island, VA.
6. Richard (Capt.) Gwyn (1738-1777) m1. Sarah Ransome (d. 1807). Both were born in Gwyn Island, old Gloucester Co., VA; they possibly lived a few years in Pittsylvania Co., VA, then in 1775 moved to the Yadkin Valley, Wilkes Co., NC and settled at "Green Hill". He died at "Green Hill", Ronda, NC, after contracting malaria in SC. Sarah Ransome later married Col. Thomas Lenoir (no issue?).
Children of Richard Gwyn and Sarah Ransome were:
7i. Richard Ransome Gwyn (1765-1822) m. Martha Lenoir, lived in Wilkesboro.
7ii. Humphrey Gwyn m. (1800) Sarah Thurmond; moved to TN.
7iii. James Gwyn (1768-1850) m. Amelia Lenoir (1765-1845/8) (dau. of Col. Thomas Lenoir and Martha Blanche Atkinson); lived at "Green Hill", Ronda, NC. They had Hugh Gwyn (#8, below. This is my line).
7iv. Sarah Gwyn (d. 1817) m. Absalom Blanchard of Camden, SC, and later Pearl River, MS.
7v. Elizabeth Gwyn (d. 1842) m. Rev. James Jenkins (1764-1847) of Camden, SC.
8. Hugh Gwyn (1804-1885) m. Rosamond Dickenson (1811-1891). They lived at "Idle Wild," Mt. Airy, NC
9. Amelia Gwyn (1830-1912) m. Mitchell Beverly Tate (1823-1892). They lived near Chilhowie, Smyth County, VA
10. Rosamond C. Tate (1858-1891) m. William Heffernan Wren (???-1894)
Rosamond and William are great-grandparents to me.