Search for content in message boards

Wright and Griffin families from Mecklenburg to Granville Co. NC

Replies: 7

Re: Wright and Griffin families from Mecklenburg to Granville Co. NC

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wright, Griffin, Stovall
Lots of good questions. I think I can answer most of them to the best of my knowledge.

First question is yes, the deed actually says William Wright of Mecklenburg Co., VA.

Second question is no. I have found nothing that shows that they lived anywhere else other than Mecklenburg Co., VA to Granvile Co., NC to Wilkes Co., GA in the part that later became Lincoln Co., GA.

A transcribed copy of the oath is at this site
http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/granville/court/allegian966...

The oath is at the top of the page William is listed in the area listed as county line district along with the Stovall's and Owen Griffin.

If William ever served in the RW I have found nothing on it. I found a notation on-line somewhere that states "William Wright was in the Revolution under Captain Elijah Graves from Mecklenburg County. His certificate of service is dated October 11, 1782 and signed by J. Randolph and I. Bourke."

I don't know what certificate they are talking about. I know that Captain Elijah Graves was commissioned as Captain in the Mecklenburg Militia on February 12, 1781. He was murdered in Mecklenburg Co. VA in 1799.

The Otis Ashmore papers have been brought to my attention many times, but I have never actually seen them. I believe that there may be some inaccuaracies though. I know one major one that is going around the net is that William and Drucilla's daughter Mary is said to have married David Stovall. This can not be factual. William's will proves that his daughter Mary had died before he wrote his will. So the Mary who married David Stovall was not William's daughter.

There is no marriage record for William and Drucilla. There is no proof of her name being Griffin.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
calvindorris1... 21 Jun 2012 1:22AM GMT 
Bill_Dahnke 26 Jul 2012 11:55PM GMT 
calvindorris1... 27 Jul 2012 12:23AM GMT 
Bill_Dahnke 21 Sep 2012 2:45PM GMT 
calvindorris1... 21 Sep 2012 11:41PM GMT 
Bill_Dahnke 27 Sep 2012 11:05PM GMT 
calvindorris1... 27 Sep 2012 11:32PM GMT 
Bill_Dahnke 11 Aug 2014 9:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic